πŸŒŸπŸš€βœ¨ Space Exploration 🌍⭐🌜

It’s an upcoming plot for Marvel, I’m sure. Spectacle, emotion, big CGI fight, resolution.

6 Likes

Personally, I blame Voldar. Or maybe Dropo.

6 Likes

Meanwhile Buzz Aldrin has a Get Your Ass to Mars t-shirt for every day of the month.

I’m glad both men are speaking up and presenting arguments. That alone gives the public more information.

7 Likes

Bill Anders is a major buzz kill.

2 Likes

Meh. Not if he’s right. Robotics have come a long way since the 60s, and any off-planet colonies would be absolute misery to live in.

So then the challenge becomes how to manage a round trip to and from Mars, and I haven’t heard anything serious proposed for that.

3 Likes

Well, the N1 was designed for a Mars flyby and actually needed to be made more powerful for a moon landing. And there were design studies for the use of a Saturn V and Apollo for a Venus flyby.

A flyby or orbital stay is still risky, and it’s unclear what it accomplishes.

A landing makes things much more complicated…

2 Likes

Here’s a chronology of events planned for New Horizon’s flyby of the Kuiper belt object, Ultima Thule, plus links for where to watch the flyby in real-time. I know how I’m celebrating New Year’s Eve. :grinning:

unless I fall asleep first

6 Likes

10:37: New Horizons is sending back status reports! So far so good.

5 Likes

All good! Now it’s data, data, data, for 20 months!

7 Likes

Happy New Year Everyone!

6 Likes

Reminds of newsgroups back in the day. Hope they have .PAR files…

2 Likes
7 Likes

Obligatory Floyd:

6 Likes

Obligatory Far Side:

10 Likes

I’ll see your Obligatory Far Side and raise you…

Obligatory XKCD

10 Likes

Re-raise an Obligatory SMBC:

10 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

I’d love to see the cusp: the border between the side that gets hit by space debris all the time versus the side that is always protected.

5 Likes