πŸŒŸπŸš€βœ¨ Space Exploration 🌍⭐🌜

Completely off topic, but I had a friend who was one of the few gentiles in a private Jewish elementary school. One class started off with Daily Oral Language, where the teacher writes a sentence on the board and the students have to correct it. My friend was bad at this, but one day he was convinced he knew the answer. Not coincidentally, the religion class that had the room the period before forgot to wipe the board, and there was still a reference to the Hebrew Book of Genesis.

"Oooh, oooh, I know this! " he called out. β€œIt’s spelled B e a r, space, s h i t!”

That was not the correct answer.

5 Likes

Back on topic:

Human health can be β€˜mostly sustained’ for a year in space, NASA Twins Study concludes

7 Likes

Gotta test that lithobraking technology somehow.

8 Likes
2 Likes

This gives a good idea how large those solar panels are.

8 Likes

Vote to name a new minor planet. Note that Planety McPlanetface is not one of the options.

7 Likes

Oooh. Tough choice. On the one hand, we have quite enough objects in the sky named after Western theologies. On the other hand, I like the story of Frau Holle much better than that of Gonggong.

5 Likes

I voted for Holle. Vili sounds far too grandiose.

Gonggong could be the god of climate change (or doorbells).

5 Likes

Gonggong the Friendly Dugong

2 Likes

How very disappointing. Surely some mythology somewhere has Planety McPlanetface as a deity that may be proposed for planetary nomenclature. The Church of the SubGenius, perhaps?

9 Likes

Behold, the only video on YouTube that actually explains what the AGC did and how it operated:

The second half of the video goes on to show how it was manufactured.

2 Likes

Did you know that the outer surface of the Apollo capsule, even the heat shield, was plastic?

6 Likes

Ablation is a space man’s friend.

7 Likes

Neat – I’ll have to watch that. But I found some cool internet stuff on the heat shield:

The physics of an ablative shield looks really complex:

7 Likes

@AndyHilmer
@kxkvi

The funny thing is, I knew the heat shield ablated but I never guessed it was all plastic. I guess that guy in The Graduate knew what he was talking about.

8 Likes

Well, up to a point.

9 Likes

Probably just a little sooner than that point where it stops being ablation and starts being exfoliation.

8 Likes

Then there’s the whole space people issue.

5 Likes
8 Likes

That would be the first Brazilian in space.

8 Likes