πŸŒŸπŸš€βœ¨ Space Exploration 🌍⭐🌜

Any Kerbalistas here?

I’ve tried to be, but I ran out of resources, both within the game and in playing time.

I love the aesthetic and how they’ve set things up. Even just in a fun simulation it gives one a better appreciation of all the work that had to be done for Mercury and Apollo.

1 Like

Last year around this time I went to the Smithsonian Air and Space annex at Dulles Airport.

It’s amazing, and I hope you can make it. It truly reconnected me with a sense of wonder that I had been distracted from I guess. I hope you all can make it there sometime. If you ever have a long layover at Dulles, head over immediately. Standing next to a Space Shuttle is awesome.

Anyone been?

5 Likes

It feels a bit lonelier out here this morning :cry:

8 Likes

17 Likes

I’ve played a fair bit, but I keep hitting a time barrier, stopping for a while, restarting from scratch (after hunting down new versions/replacements of the mods I liked), repeat. I’m also not especially good at building a really efficient craft… I’ve been able to build stations in orbit and land on/return from the Mun, but that’s about it.

Last time I devoted some time to it, I played around with coding an autopilot in kOS. Managed to get something together that could launch and get to a perfect circular orbit cleanly, but the logic I was using to control the path through the atmosphere was ridiculously naive and I didn’t have the math to improve it.

4 Likes

Saturn shines on me as Cassini falls into its disc

9 Likes

Kerbal looks interesting. But I wasn’t able to navigate the demo, and I wouldn’t be able to pilot individual missions.

I enjoyed Buzz Aldrin’s Space Program Manager, but if a mission fails, it automatically kills the crew. No Apollo 13. And it lacks some of the proposed spacecraft designs of the period, or the tools to create new spacecraft designs. Also after the first few satellites, automatic probes turn into a diversion from piloted missions.

2 Likes
9 Likes

An amateur astronomer in New Mexico has reported receiving a final transmission from Cassini that NASA has not released. The full text of the message is:

TELL ENCELADUS I
10 Likes

They got your good side!

4 Likes
5 Likes

Ouch! Flashes!

But that’s one of the reasons Nasa chose lunar orbit rendezvous for Apollo. It would be easier to land a small lunar module than to land a giant rocket to lift the command module, with some kind of periscope or balcony to see what they were landing on…

4 Likes

Pale blue dot.

10 Likes
8 Likes

:open_mouth: they’ll scare away the Mars cats!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Does occasionally watching people crash crazy rockets on YouTube count?

1 Like

i went to space academy as a kid ( hooray, summer job. and, also the one genuinely nice thing my grandparents did for me was to pay for my airfare. )

many great memories.

for the first part of my college career i was even still heading that direction. ( some times i wish id pursued it further. )

point of the story: one of my very good friends that i met there actually did go on to work at nasa. ( doing engineering for life sciences. improving exercise equipment and the like. )

she, like me and everyone there, was a total nerd. i think being there really helped all of us realize: liking engineering and science is cool, and there are other people like us out in the world.

8 Likes

Thread:

1 Like