πŸŒŸπŸš€βœ¨ Space Exploration 🌍⭐🌜

This is so cool:

50 years old!!! My car should look so good . . .

3 Likes

Nasa has released footage of a flying saucer from another world:

6 Likes
1 Like

That video mentions Goldstone, Madrid, and Canberra. Those are the complexes of NASA’s Deep Space Network. It’s cool to check in from time to time and see who is talking to whom: DSN Now

1 Like

That is interesting.

3 Likes

That’s so cool! Now what we need is a couple thousand telescopes in orbit at various distances from the sun.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Researchers used small samples of dust collected during the 1969-1972 Apollo missions to grow a type of cress.

Now we need to get some Martian soil back, and see how it is at growing potatoes.

6 Likes

my favorite headline about this was at iO9, maybe, but it basically said, β€œmoon soil was used to grow plants, and they hate it.” lol

5 Likes

β€œEvery plant - whether in a lunar sample or in a control - looked the same up until about day six.”

After that, differences emerged. The plants grown in moon soil started to show stress, developed more slowly and ended up stunted.

So after 6 days the seed’s food reserves were exhausted and they began to starve in the dead moon dust.

5 Likes

Too much gravitational lensing. Take it back to the shop!

4 Likes

Man, that comparison with the same field from Hubble. It may or may not be a leap in aquity, but at least we have another scope up. Hope they’re working on the next one, maybe a really big optical interferometer.

2 Likes

Your Eyes got my wife’s prescription wrong, too.

2 Likes
7 Likes

I remember watching the Apollo-Soyuz hook-up; I even have the stamp.

3 Likes
1 Like

I don’t understand why we don’t use some kind of helium mix on the ground and let the astronauts decompress before docking at the ISS. Sure they’d have to put a de-squeaker filter on coms, but the raw audio would be hilarious.

One missed opportunity for the Apple show.

1 Like

In the meantime, apparently there’s a source for buying Martian soil analogues:

Alerted to it in this video Youtube’s been trying to push at me and I finally gave in…

3 Likes