The Job AMA Thread! - current AMA@ChickieD through 11/16 at 11:30 PM PST

Why are you not creating the logo for this place?

5 Likes

M-E-S-S-A-G-E THAT IS WHAT YOU LEAVE FOR ME

[beep]

10 Likes

For me, a huge amount of the design process of a logo is just listening to the client, giving them what they ask, but then taking it in weird directions that hopefully push them out of their comfort zone. I usually sit down with pencil and paper and just sketch – it’s so much faster than ‘sketching’ in Illustrator. I have dozens of sheets of logo sketches for Yes. But for example, they specifically wanted a retro-80s logo that looked “tech-y” and 80s-futuristic, even though I pushed for more of a fantasy sort of thing. So I did some retro things and they eventually settled on one. And yes, Blambot, Dafont, and Fontsquirrel all have great free fonts to use that are helpful!

I’m so far behind on other projects right now that I don’t have the brain capacity for another one! But I would like to give it a shot sometime.

12 Likes

What are the main “do nots” for this type job?

4 Likes

@katherine - what do you do, and how long have you been at it?

2 Likes

Hmmm…

1. Do not steal. There’s a fine line between ‘inspiration’ and plagiarism.
  2. Do not stop learning. Getting stuck in an old way of doing things is a way to become obsolete.
  3. Do not get lazy. This is super hard, especially working at home.
12 Likes

Have you ever used (or do you use) the stylus that senses barrel rotation? That would let you use chiseled edge or brush edge effects. I’ve never tried it, but it looks pretty great.

2 Likes

How does one get in on this?

3 Likes

I’m a psychotherapist and I’m pursuing a doctorate in clinical psychology. I’ve been practicing for six years in a variety of settings. This is my second career after years of corporate and consulting in Human Resources (primarily in tech start-ups). I am much happier now.

11 Likes

I think you just did! :smile:

3 Likes

5 Likes

HA HA HA.

My wife used to date a guy in a Yes cover band…

3 Likes

Whatev. As many know, I work in infosec and engineering at Mozilla for Firefox. Been there 10 years now. I also have a graduate level liberal arts degree and am a doctoral dropout in Buddhist studies. Feel free to ask about infosec but be prepared for equal parts banality of evil and horror.

6 Likes

I think having a lot of people going at the same time would be unwise since it makes it too easy to lose someone in the shuffle.

Let’s give everyone 12 hours to finish up asking @nungesser first (Not that anyone should stop asking them things if they arrive later, just to keep the signal strong for the current focus) and then move on to @katherine since they spoke up second. I’ll edit the original post to cobble together a list of some sort. Sound good?

7 Likes

you can make a wiki entry that’s like a sign up sheet at an open mic?

3 Likes

I wikied the top post and added dates to it.

4 Likes

I’ll leave the editing and listing to the smart people who might pay attention to those sets of things while… oh look! A shiny thing to distract me!

2 Likes

@nungesser - What are the major differences in how your clients are? You mention some big corporations but also some smaller groups/individuals. You’ve described interactions with a couple of them, but I’m curious, from your point of view, what it’s like dealing with them and what you’re thinking when you decide whether to take on a new client. Like, if a Nintendo and a Yes were both wanting you, what would your thoughts be?

4 Likes

I have! My stylus does that, it’s pretty cute. I rarely use it simply because 99% of my Photoshop/stylus use is just photo editing, which doesn’t need chiseled edge effects so much.

4 Likes

The big difference is that I worked with big corporations while working at large design agencies, but since going freelance have worked primarily with smaller clients. A big corporation like Nintendo would only seek out a freelancer if it was someone very famous for a unique style (such as Shepard Fairey or Ghostshrimp). Bands like to use freelancers like me because we’re cheaper and faster and involve far fewer meetings and offices; Yes management can call me on a Tuesday and tell me they need a poster for Thursday and I can turn it around, but you can’t pull that crap on a 100-person design agency.

When I was creative director at a design agency, we mainly worked with Procter & Gamble, and while they are a huge scary corporation with offices that look like Death Star hallways, no joke, the individual brands are like little mini-companies – I spent a lot of time becoming intimately familiar with Folgers, Mr Clean, Febreze, Swiffer, and five years of my life was sunk into Home Made Simple – and I did go back & do a little freelance for them afterwards, because the individual brand managers knew me & needed some extra help here and there. But generally big companies use big agencies, small groups/individuals use freelance designers.

9 Likes