The Job AMA Thread! - current AMA@ChickieD through 11/16 at 11:30 PM PST

I just started using LastPass. So that’s s no go?

2 Likes

Perhaps not relevant, but… are there any old Netscape people still at Mozilla? I know Mitchell Baker is still there, but she’s a pretty high-up boss now, isn’t she?

3 Likes

Google them and security issues in the last year. I no longer trust them.

5 Likes

Chairperson of the board. Yes, there are a number. My boss (until he went to Google a year ago) was one. One of my friends and immediate peers in security, Dan, was at Netscape. There were more when I started.

6 Likes

Side note, I’ve been using Keepass for close to a decade and it’s worked well for me. It’s a local application so it doesn’t store your passwords out in the cloud like lastpass or 1password. The drawback is that it’s up to you to sync between desktop, cellphone, chromebook, etc., but that’s minor for me, and I find the native UI better than the web-based ones.

6 Likes

1password doesn’t store passwords in the cloud unless you either opt in or run the most recent windows version (buy the older is available). My passwords aren’t in the cloud (and I don’t run Windows).

As I recall, no one supports Keepass anymore and it is dead ended software. There are forks out there that extend it and are under support though.

3 Likes

KeepassX is the most useable fork, with builds on (yuck!) Android in addition to BSD, *nix, et all.

I imagine with the beta of 'fox 57, your workload has increased. What type of accessories or office upgrades have made it easier to handle work from home?

1 Like

There was an update yesterday for the 1.x version, and one in June for the 2.x version (which I use). I’ll look into it though. Thanks.

3 Likes

@enso
If you could modify anything about your job, other than eliminate the work and not the paycheck or getting a raise of eleventy-bazillion dollars a year (that’s my figure, I don’t know what yours might be; we all have our price, though, don’t we?), what would that mod be?

3 Likes

In your professional opinion, am I having a lot of trouble booking my flight home today because Chrome isn’t playing nice with Air Canada’s booking site, or is Air Canada’s booking site coding garbage?

I’ll also accept “All of the above” as being true.

4 Likes

That’s a good question. Most of the issues I see are a lack of, to me, heavy investment in the security space. This is really an industry issue as Mozilla dies as well as anyone, really. Security should be up there with any new features in priority and should be considered in all facets and decision making. It isn’t 20 years ago and, as a whole, people are often putting band aids on after the fact, not designing it in from the ground up. That would require a lot more education and training on it at all levels and constant discussion of it when making software decisions.

5 Likes

When in doubt, blame the web developer.

5 Likes

If you could rule the world, how would you change how security software works?

3 Likes

I’d dump all legacy systems in stages. We’re held hostage to bad decisions from the 70s through the 90s. Design operating systems from the ground up with security and privacy in mind (and then applications and the internet). People are doing this in stages but no big player is going to break backwards compatibility for literally billions of people.

I’d also break the back of centralized, corporate control of the internet.

All of these things are technically possible and even somewhat exist but when there is a world wide installed based using the current stuff, the secure things are never going to win or even get corporate support.

8 Likes

Aside from the password advice above, what other privacy and security steps can you recommend to the average, non-techy person (other than "stay off the Internet entirely)?

2 Likes

Install ALL security updates as soon as they’re available. In fact, set your operating system to download and install them automatically. The chances of your OS maker being owned and giving you bad updates is far less than the chances of you being pwned. This applies to all software you install. Vendors only release security updates to fixes they know fix actual security problems so…don’t be that guy running five year old unpatched windows 7.

Beyond that, standard stuff like never run software that someone just sends to you or that you download from a pirated site. It probably has malware. Never just shove a random flash drive in your computer. When you’re not actively using your computer, either log out or lock the screen (with a password) so people can just pick up your computer and use it to install shit. Same advice above goes for all phones. For phones, especially, don’t get phones from companies that don’t give timely security updates for the operating system. My phone is made by Google so I got Android 8 and then the first security patch within a week of release.

Encrypt your phone and computer hard drive by default unless there is a reason you can’t. Make sure your phone has a screen lock. You want to avoid people stealing or using your stuff, in general, without your knowle or pulling data from it. Don’t install apps you don’t use…

3 Likes

An opportunity for you to shill:

Why should I switch to FireFox over, say Chrome, Safari, or the Internet Explorer 6 I think they still use at work?

4 Likes

Well, IE6 will get you pwned. I wouldn’t trust security on it in the slightest at this point.

Mostly it is about the mission and what kind of internet you want to support. Apple and Google’s or one driven by users inspired by the Mozilla Manifesto and seen to by a non-profit entity not driven by shareholders to monetize you and your data.

5 Likes

Thank you @enzo!!! I am feeling more secure now.

Up now @nothingfuture. Please begin:

1. What is your job and

2. What is one skill (other than the actual skill you get paid for) that is indispensable to your work?

5 Likes

Hi all,
I’m currently working as an Instructional Designer in higher education. I mostly develop/build/maintain online and blended graduate level courses. I do this at an elite New England university.
Previously, I worked for a number of years in k-12, first as a classroom teacher (ELA and Film Production), then as a district wide Instructional Technology Coach.
As for skills I use that aren’t on the job description: managing up the faculty that I work with. I spend a lot of time working to convince very smart people that I know anything about education and that such knowledge is worth listening to.
Ask away!

10 Likes