The Nazification of the World

To their credit, when there were two parties (one fiscally-conservative and one alt-right), lots of people who couldn’t stand the NDP voted for the fiscal conservatives.

But, just like what happened when the PCs and the Reform party merged, the further-right party took over the new party, and the voters swung further right to meet the new party.

Back when Trudeau was actually talking about fulfilling his electoral reform promises, he asked something to the effect of: “Do you really want [Bigoted politician] to have their own party, with their own representatives in Parliament?”

Yes. Yes, I do. Because if you separate the bigots from the actual fiscal conservatives, then the latter have no reason to cater to the former. They’ve proved that the alternative to having a small alt-right party and a larger centre-right party isn’t that you eliminate the alt-right party and only have a centre-right party, it’s that the centre-right party gets pushed farther and farther right until you have a large alt-right party.

This is why I was against the party merger in the first place: I absolutely knew this was going to happen. Because all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

9 Likes
2 Likes

No, this isn’t some dark humor from a Woody Allen movie.

2 Likes

perpetual embarassment to Canada and avid apartheid enthusiast Keean Bexte has been at it again. coincidentally, Bexte just happens to be employed by Rebel Media, the same white supremacist factory that created monsters like Loomer and Southern.

there’s a difference between being nice and being a good person. if you see Bexte, shout him down. (also, buy eggs! support your local farmers!)

5 Likes

I am weirdly relieved this went about as well as one would expect:

7 Likes

swiftboating is on the rise; american fascists are trying to poison the well against centrists now.

8 Likes

Reports of a coup in Venezuela.

PS. More on that:

6 Likes

my old hometown now literally sees no problem with hosting nazis:

7 Likes

Maxime Bernier, once a front leader for Conservative Party of Canada leadership (until it was literally stolen from him by Andrew Scheer) has recently not only gone full screaming racist, but full screaming transphobe too.

the truth about Canada is that we prioritize pretending to be polite over doing the right thing.

there is functionally no difference between far-right “conservatives” and libertarians; both center their entire politics on resentment and self-interest.

6 Likes

The good news is, the PPC might pull some of the uttermost dipshits out of the CPC, and prevent them from sliding any further rightward for a time.

The bad news is, if they succeed in doing that, they’ll split the vote enough that both parties will lose catastrophically, and they’ll start merger talks. These talks will, of course, will cave on every demand made by the PPC, despite being the smaller party (see: Federal PC/Reform merger, Alberta PC/Wildrose merger).

4 Likes

Bernier was popular within the Conservative party because it turns out conservative insiders are 100% down with racism and transmisia. Bernier won’t be popular with Conservative voters because few prioritize openly being racists over the pretense of “fiscal conservativism” (though, functionally, both the PPC and CPC have the same policies). Conservative brand loyalty is quite strong, especially among to over 40 crowd.

4 Likes

I’m sure Kim Campbell felt the same way going into the 1993 election.

3 Likes

Nah. She’s conservative, not stupid. I actually admire her for some things. Her, and Joe Clark.

Mulroney was the first PM I know of where people seriously discussed if he was going to get assassinated. That’s a lot of discontent.

4 Likes

relevant to

rebel media - operated by Ezra Levant - has spent years and millions of dollars hiring, training, platforming, and “disavowing” white supremacists (and still profiting from archived white supremacist content). the role of Ezra Levant and Hamish Marshall in fomenting the current outbreak of white supremacist/outright nazis in the US and north america cannot be understated.

8 Likes

Bleach the world?

6 Likes

By the way, the Guardian still have not replied to my reader complaint about their use of a certain eugenicist slur in a headline last year.

1 Like
5 Likes

Not quite sure where to put this.

3 Likes

We don’t have a de-Nazification of the World thread, so here’s this:

10 Likes
10 Likes