The other place borked?

Too many people complaining about shop posts.

4 Likes

Too many for who? I actually thought the usual suspect has been remarkably tolerant of all of the bellyaching up to this point.

2 Likes

I’ve not been on that site for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages. Why bother? All the cool kids are here.

4 Likes

Well, what it has that this place lacks is a steady stream of varied and topical content for commenting, When that stream dried up over the holidays is when the complaints about the BBS Store posts started, because “real” content was lacking. It made it seem like the store was more out of control than usual.

4 Likes

And hey it wasn’t them.

6 Likes

That just gets a big eyeroll from me now. Seriously how hard is it go oh just a StackSocial store post, next.

4 Likes

I was mostly being facetious

4 Likes

Kind of scary/bad that many of us have become so accustomed to the bad/crap ads there that something like this got a pass for several days despite dozens of reports in #meta.

(And as an aside WTF is with not using some kind of 2FA for their CMS?)

7 Likes

Well I posted to meta as soon as I saw it. I assumed it was the ads as that is the usual vector. When Ken responded they were a aware and tracking it down I was good with that. It actually quit happening for me on the desktop not long after I posted.

3 Likes

if they’re on wordpress, it’s as easy as installing one plugin. :confused:

if it’s roll your own, well, investing a little time in reading the TOTP and FOTP APIs would be well advised.

lastly, what the hell? basic security protocol says to only give high privileges to accounts that absolutely need it – editing pages should be locked down and limited only to admin-level, massive passphrase accounts.

huge failure of security on multiple levels. whee.

8 Likes

Anyone else getting a read only message at the other place?

The same.

1 Like

Seems fixed now? I guess some sort of maintenance? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Seems unfixed again for me.

2 Likes

Nope… I was wrong. Tried to post and boom, gave me the read only message again… it worked for like a minute…

2 Likes

Read only for me. And I got a similar message when I clicked my avatar at the upper right to see possible replies.

1 Like

It cleared up pretty soon after I posted this… always a weird thing to see, tho.

2 Likes

When I click “comments” over there, quite often I just get the same page reloaded, even if it says there are, say, 6 comments. Weird.

2 Likes

Another weird bork – YouTube videos on the blog post page don’t show the controls – no play/stop, volume, etc.

ETA: and there’s a black strip across the top in at least one of them. I wonder if the video is misplaced on the background thingummy, so that the foreground whatchacallit is framing it improperly.

3 Likes

They just did an update. Nothing looks different, but some things got broken, and they’re collaborating with the Discourse team to fix them. I think the YouTube bug has been reported.

4 Likes