The Talking Stick

I think it may have been memory holed with the regulars spaces going away. I haven’t been able to find any of it myself. It might have been in September of last year… that’s the timestamp on one of my protest avatar images but I’m not sure if that one was for that specific incident (and, boy, does it feel crappy to be that unsure about which incident was being protested).

From my recollection, a bunch of folks decided to try to be “worthy” of the badge, mostly in a joking manner. A certain author got annoyed by it, and went on a banning rampage in response. I remember being completely floored by it - one moment people were having fun, and the next…

9 Likes

Maybe, Kimmo, but when you get laughter during a “tense” scene in a horror movie, or moshing during a chorale prelude, there has been a failure of function on the part of the “auteur”, and ironically the failure has probably come about because the artist has been telegraphing how you should feel about the function, instead of laying out the elements of the form in a way that makes sense.

Popo_Bawa is right that the intention is probably aesthetic or ideological, but it is failure none the less, and the work ends up appropriated to another function (e.g., comedy, the mosh pit). And yeah, it does apply to other areas like journalism.

7 Likes

It all happened in #lounge IIRC, so, yeah…

4 Likes

7 Likes

Actually, yes.

Well, not moshing, but I gave the Stride a middle aged boogie and I paid more attention to it than I did the Corale.

But then, I’m not good at sitting and listening to music. I’m not good with minimalism or ambient or stuff like that, I like music that moves, but I’m not sure I process it the same as others. Mrs s is different, she likes that stuff and can get almost trancey listening to it (she’s had people check on her before now to see if she’s okay), so it my be different strokes.

3 Likes

I can live with that, although Stride’s rhythm is very slippery, so I applaud you if you can get the boogie going (because there is some boogie in the music). That’s as close as I get to Minimalism.

I tend to like a lot of harmonic and contrapuntal movement, which is not the kind of strong rhythm I think you respond to, so no worries: my music is probably not going to turn your crank. Very much different strokes, and I both expect and respect that.

2 Likes

I dance to the beat of a different drummer!

2 Likes

You’re a dancer, and there is definitely no shame in that. I like to dance too, usually to music that was designed for dancing - that’s kind of what I mean by function. I just don’t have a knack for that kind of writing.

3 Likes

No, I’m really not!

2 Likes

If you need to move, yeah, you are. When the beat moves me, so am I. We aren’t making any statements as to how polished or professional you or I might be at it. :wink:

7 Likes

Careful, you’ve encountered the dogpile police! LOL

7 Likes

I’m not feeling particularly dogpiled, and I can’t say that I’m dogpiling anyone in particular, so it’s all good, I think. :wink:

7 Likes

It mostly happened in the Lounge.

This is the post which earned @pyramus the Pendant.

Immediately afterwards, seeing that it was an actual thing that could be awarded, @crenquis and @nemomen (and a whole bunch of others, but these were the only two punished) posted deliberate pedantry, trying to get the badge, and were banned with the explanation “annoying =/= pedantic,” and it was clarified that this badge is a mark of shame, not an honour.

I don’t remember how long the bans were for, but they were long enough to be punitive, but not long enough to be draconian. A few days to a week, I think?

And then everyone adopted hedgehog avatars for the duration.

13 Likes

I was aiming for annoying, not pedantry… (I half expected that response from jlw)

I got 1 or 2 days and @nemomen got 1 day more than me for whatever reason.
It took another 2-3 days before I got back into the lounge.

13 Likes

OMG that language! Like a teacher one term away from retirement who doesn’t care if he’s scarring anyone with his reprimands.

20 Likes

He is the touchiest author there, certainly the most vindictive, and you know something? If I see something that is sentimental schmaltz click bait, it is almost guaranteed to be under his byline.

20 Likes

Fringeware Review! I was trying to remember the name of the other zine I read with Boing Boing back around 1992 or 1993.

3 Likes

As far as I know, he still has articles for MAKE. I’m not sure how he’s employed right now. He’s a Facebook friend of mine and a good friend of one of my local buddies, who runs our meditation group. I see him post a fair amount on his FB about his writing projects.

4 Likes

Which illustrates jlw’s problem. The pedant badge was created as a way to single out and shame, in a dumb way, commenters who didn’t fit the publisher’s mold of desired commenters. It was a badge, though, and no one gives much of a shit about trying to mind-read jlw’s feelings, so it was treated as a game. As it should have been.

Since then the need jlw had for the community to read his mind became less a mind-reading exercise and more of an exercise in jlw’s desire to communicate via authoritarian tantrums.

16 Likes

What does it say about BoingBoing that he’s the official publisher of it then?

6 Likes