UK Politics Thread

Suck it, fucktards.

(Am I allowed to say fucktard here? I hope so; banning it outright is a bit PC-gone-mad for my taste)

4 Likes

Careful now, the Ukip snowflakes might need a safe space with languageā€‹like that!

2 Likes

The Conservatives have just lost Henley-on-Thames in the Oxfordshire county council elections :laughing:

The Green Party was wiped out though (by Labour) :frowning:

4 Likes

Somerset CC has gained 2 Green councillors thanks to the Independent Republic of Frome (the mini-Brighton where the town council is non-party-political). Somersetā€™s large retired population still make it massively Con, but I suspect the secret sauce of Frome is that it is a rather convenient commute for people at the U of Bath.

4 Likes

It means more dickhead semi-fascists voting Con, unfortunately. I preferred it when there was this ingenious method of excluding 4 million actually barking voters from participating in elections.

4 Likes

Larry Sanders will be standing for the Green Party in Oxford East.

There will be no Green Party candidate in Oxford West and Abingdon, they are asking Green voters to vote Lib Dem instead. Despite my issues with the Lib Dem party I think it is a good idea.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know. I think the drift to UKIP actually helped to detoxify the Tories because they were no longer filled with the near far right*. The ones who were left looked sane by comparison. Itā€™ll be interesting to see what happens to the Tory brand now theyā€™re returning home.

*the far far right being ensconced in Britain First, EDL, BNP and all the many, many factional offshoots

5 Likes

I donā€™t know. The Conservatives are generally very good at maintaining a united front in all but the most extreme circumstances, even, and up to raging internal warfare, which limited the further-right and anti-EU ā€˜wingsā€™ from making the public argument against policy.

UKIP was ā€˜outside the fenceā€™ and did make the public arguments, and gave the same wings of the Cons more leverage to drag concessions and policy in that direction - and of course, the ā€˜united frontā€™ aspect meant that it was more difficult for the moderates to argue against that.

And I got the impression that UKIP policy matched-up well enough with the far, far right nutjob partiesā€™ agendas, that it attracted, and amalgamated their votes into a usefully large block, that also added pressure, if not seats - and lo, policy slid even more right, and a referendum promise was offered.

(But seriously, thatā€™s another rant for another day - they frightened me, but even so, they got 10% of the entire vote - more than the SNP, iirc - but not one seat off that? The system is broken.)

5 Likes

They got one seat- Clacton. But then lost it when Falange fell out with their only MP.

The comparison with the SNP does show how broken first past the post is, though. The Scottish Nationalists cleaned up in Scotland, winning every seat but three there, with almost exactly 50% of the vote. UKIPā€™s 12% of the vote was spread across a load of constituencies, meaning that they never got going anywhere.

Still, you canā€™t be too sorry for the kippers, because even with that 1MP, they still got 100% of what they wanted because of Cameron being incredibly, mind-bogglingly stupid.

5 Likes

I stand corrected, and agree with every word.

2 Likes

Indeed.

ā€œThe last time I tried a referendum, we only came this close to breaking the country and the Union beyond repair - you know, I think Iā€™d jolly well like to do that again!ā€

Though, if Iā€™m being fair (for some reason that I canā€™t think of right now) I suspect that the EU referendum was put on the table because they didnā€™t expect to win cleanly:

ā€œThis will attract anti-EU votes, call UKIPā€™s bluff, de-fang the far-right wing of oneā€™s own party, put Labour on the back-foot about the EU ā€“ and then we can safely give it all away (albeit for as many concessions as possible) to the Lib Dems as an expensive bargaining chip for the inevitable repeat coalition.ā€

"Terribly sorry, all, but had to compromise with those damned Liberaā€¦
(pause) What do you mean we won?!"

3 Likes

Youā€™re right. As much as I dislike them, they attracted a lot of people who felt they werenā€™t being listened to and with the share of the vote they had they should have had MPs.

3 Likes

Thanks - I wish wasnā€™t, mind.

Itā€™s less solidly-evidence-based (lots of other factors involved) but Iā€™m positive that that ā€˜not feeling listened toā€™ you raised also translated to ā€˜outā€™ votes: People who didnā€™t think their electoral vote mattered (and letā€™s be fair, for a lot of us, it doesnā€™t), who saw an opportunity to throw a spanner in the works of any kind, to try and change things and took it, both spite and desperation are valid there.

It also helps explain why the most disadvantaged areas voted ā€˜outā€™, even though theyā€™reā€‹ going to suffer most through loss of EU support that government wasnā€™t providing on its own.

3 Likes

It also explains a lot about Scottish politics. The Tories ignored them (especially using them as a testing ground for all sorts of shit, like the Poll tax) so they moved to Labour and the Tories were dead in Scotland foa generation.

Fast forward to now, Labour banked the votes and seats and took them for granted, so they shifted to the SNP. The SNP now has its own problems with a comfortable incumbency, so anyone pissed off with them is shifting to the Tories (I think Labour are dead for a generation)

In fact, I think itā€™s a problem for Labour all over that itā€™s ignored itā€™s core vote, hence Corbyn, because at least heā€™s talking their language even if heā€™s not doing anything.

7 Likes

My paranoia is kicking in.

One possible reason I lost my vote is because the electoral register is being checked against DWP records.

My DWP records are restricted access because I am a trans person, and at risk of violent abuse if that data were to be leaked. No one can access my DWP record without security clearance, which no-one can get without a day or two of waiting.

Someone has checked my vote against my DWP record, found that they couldnā€™t access it, and decided that I donā€™t exist.

My paranoia is that this is a deliberate attempt to disenfranchise trans people (or at least those who have restricted access records). I have no evidence of this though, other than previous shitty treatment of trans people by religious groups, TERFs and MRAs.

It may be worth noting that there are several trans people standing for the Green party, Labour and the Lib-Dems at this election (although not in Oxford East), and there have been relatively recent transphobic campaigns against trans people running for election to local councils.

My last attempt to get back on the electoral register has been rejected. I have two days to sort out this mess, and I have to get to a wedding in Newcastle on Friday.

11 Likes

Itā€™s bad when the hopeful, best case is that theyā€™re merely incompetent, not bigoted arseholes.

Wonder what the penalty is for willfully (or even incompetently) denying someone their vote? Seems like it should be kind of a big thing.

Nevertheless, my empathy, and no small anger, for your frustrations.
All power to your elbow for success against the bastards. (Or revenge, after. Or both.)

8 Likes

Or steel-capped boot, if you prefer

4 Likes

Iā€™m just going to leave this here:

Just sayinā€™.

9 Likes

Somebody lend Corbyn a BFG9000, stat.

4 Likes

Theyā€™d only use it on the Blairites, though, and possibly their foot.