Um.... what.... aka, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read

Yup, same here. My safety had been compromised so many times I’ve forgotten a lot of the specific instances, but always by police. One time my life was spared by less than a minute. I know for a fact who to be afraid of, and it’s not my neighbors.

13 Likes

I also live in one of those areas. However things do happen – some cars got broken into, and stuff stolen. Probably by white teenagers having “fun.” So my previous next-door neighbors got a huge, mean, scary doberman to protect themselves. Guess what. They were conservative christians. Mostly it just scared us.

They also bought a generator for the year 2000 bug.:roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Lots of folks around here have generators, and the reasons can vary.

• Y2K
  • Lost power one winter for a week and a half, and no one wants a repeat of that
  • Need climate control on my prepper hoard
  • Power gets shut off, on the regular, I’m not a fucking millionaire
  • Libruls tryna destroy us all, but not on my land
  • Neighbor up the road got a bigger generator, and I like asserting dominance in convoluted ways

0 voters

7 Likes

Yeah, I’ve considered getting one too, for power outages. But they’ve died down recently, so the dithering continues.

7 Likes

And in a few years, you can have “the power company won’t roll coal any more, so I’ve got to do it myself.”

11 Likes

All it takes is losing everything in your fridge a day or two after going to the grocery store – THREE TIMES IN THE SAME MONTH – to make you realize that a small generator can pay for itself rather quickly.

17 Likes

Tim Gunter said both he and Bekki Gunter are concealed weapon permit holders and trained in firearms safety.

That’s good, but not good enough if the toddler wasn’t trained and licensed too.

14 Likes

A week+ without fresh water or heat during a blizzard (because the well pump uses electricity, and even though it uses oil fuel the furnace also needs electricity) was reason enough for me to consider getting one. I didn’t though because I couldn’t find any that seemed good.

I would prefer one of the solar ones (though that would probably be useless during a blizzard). Looking into that led me into thoughts about how it’s the 21st century and we still have no standard backup power supplies and generally no way to power things off-grid. The options I found there were all disappointing so I had to shut down that line of thought.

12 Likes
11 Likes

That is … were drugs involved in this idea??? Terrible.

10 Likes

Ironic that you need a license to drive a car bur not to have kids. But then the requirements would be just as useless.

7 Likes

Your responsibilities in this role are:

• Raise our kids: All child-rearing tasks fall to you.
  • With our assistance, design a science-based, data-driven, unsentimental plan to craft optimal young adults and future statesmen/CEOs/world changers at scale. We will collectively turn this plan into daycare centers[…]
11 Likes

Sounds almost like the plot of The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson.

9 Likes

Or

12 Likes

A little bit, but this couple who “run a portfolio of businesses that does over a $100M a year in sales” are offering this amazing opportunity to raise their infants and develop a childcare business from scratch for them for a total compensation of… $22K per year (+room&board, but… c’mon…).

15 Likes

Makes me wonder if the currency involved is Bitcoin. Or if the listing is from April 1st.

(There aren’t many people who are actually running businesses with $100M in sales, let alone a young couple pregnant with their first kid.)

16 Likes

To make a small fortune, start with a large one.

15 Likes

Who says they’re young? They could be 45 or even as old as 60. This could involve surrogates, assuming it’s even real.

9 Likes

“If you want to be a Millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline.” - Richard Branson.

11 Likes

There probably aren’t many of them who have “27 genetically-tested embryos banked and plan to keep the factory running as long as it is safe to do so”, either. :roll_eyes:

That sweet paycheck could end up with responsibility over an entire herd…

11 Likes