Um.... what.... aka, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read

I’m also looking at it from the perspective of a historian, though. Our ability to reconstruct our past is only as good as the materials we have on hand. In addition to this being a loss for fans, it’s a loss for understanding the process of how music was made in the 20th century.

14 Likes

I really like this point. It’s not just about the recordings themselves, but also the physical tapes as artifacts. No-one who has only worked in digital/doesn’t know their history is even going to understand something life the band name Tones on Tail. Or the famous apocrypha about the Dark Side of the Moon being “filtered” by carrying the master tape through an airport X-ray scanner.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s why the masters matter. They don’t matter so much to the label, because for them, it’s not about an accurate reconstruction of the past, it’s about a sanitized version of history that doesn’t call their actions into question. They want the heroic role of the labels memorialized instead of the much messier history. If masters are lost, well, (other than that in and of itself calling them into question), they have a better shot at controlling the narrative. That’s largely what the struggle over intellectual property is too.

10 Likes

Glad to know you have such a high estimation of your residents’ intelligence, Mississippi.

12 Likes

“Veggie?” Ain’t that that new breed of cow I been hearin’ about?

7 Likes

If it’s not from a sizable fortified settlement, it’s not a burger.

9 Likes

But not quite a burgher? Asking for the Donner party. /s

7 Likes

If they don’t have ham in them they can’t possibly be a hamburger.

7 Likes

14 Likes

I can’t tell if that’s sarcasm or not. Any hints?

11 Likes

This reminds me of a bit of dialogue from “All in the Family.”

Michael - “you don’t like jews? Jesus was a jew.”
Archie - “Only on his mother’s side.”

9 Likes

Michaelangelo has a lot to answer for.

10 Likes

and that’s the side that counts.

13 Likes
15 Likes

Antivax meets forced-birther meets transphobe:

13 Likes

So much stupid…

10 Likes

I guess gender confusion is the new autism.

11 Likes

Yeah, but there is such an easy fix. Just inject the victim with sperm and they become less confused and more oriented toward male which is of course preferred.

12 Likes

Or if you want them to go more girl-oriented, you can inject them with sugar and spice and everything nice. What could go wrong?

15 Likes

13 Likes