Understanding Media 101

Thread:

Spoiler: it’s not about Anthem and Bioware.

12 Likes

And this is why I’m glad I mostly use YouTube for documentaries and how-tos.

Having said that, it still pushes a lot of “tabloid stuff” at me.

5 Likes

Me too, although it’s music videos and videos about history. The algorithm still does well about listing history videos that will be interesting and I wouldn’t have thought to look for. For music it mostly lists things I’ve listened to/watched before now, but I like that it still does include something I’ve liked from a different genre, so if I’m not interested in most of the list, it’s suggesting a genre that I might be in the mood to switch to.

When I accidentally go to it while logged out, it looks a lot messier, but at least there’s enough variety.

4 Likes

Because we’re not supposed to point out that these tropes actually hurt actual people who have nothing to do with the evil.

Sorry, this is the equivalent of deciding to insult Nazis by insisting they’re actually gay or actually Jewish… while ignoring widespread systemic violence against gay men or Jewish people.

3 Likes

I like YouTube for finding new music (via other people’s lists) and comedy, old and new.

6 Likes

It all comes back to the simple idea of what an insult is: drawing an equivalence between your subject and someone or something else, with the implication that being the latter is a bad thing.

When the object of comparison is a person or group of people, it’s impossible to insult your subject with the comparison, without also insulting the person/people they’re being compared to.

If I were you, I’d press them on why they think an “idiot” is a bad thing to be. Make them publicly own the fact that they think that unintelligent people are subhuman, and then bring in the community to make it known to them that’s unacceptable.

4 Likes

Yeah, but I can’t comment there, they use Facebook comments.

4 Likes

Ugh.

5 Likes
5 Likes

(medium-long read)

2 Likes
14 Likes

Exactly. I hate this crap. Society done fucked up but scrappy people did a nice thing. All the feelz, right?

11 Likes

When it’s newsworthy that society fucks over innocent people only most of the way instead of 150% of the way …

7 Likes

Also when we help each other in spite of our culture instead of because of it

8 Likes

6 Likes

Want a primer in how a seemingly unbiased piece can be loaded in bias?

Thread:

7 Likes

Sadly, I have to return again to a familiar tale.

Media being used (unsuccessfully in this instance) to construct a narrative to justify war:

5 Likes
10 Likes

I would love to mass-post this to every single literary agent active in the English language.

I’d also love a follow up that looks at why 78% of the people in the industry are women, yet men get the lion’s share of reviews and hype.

(I’ve got a good idea why. It would just be interesting to see some numbers.)

7 Likes

Before R-ing TFA: because wypipo. I’ve read a lot of books over the years, and read a lot of new books over the last few years, and mostly what I see is more white books than good books. Basically, if you grew up in a bucolic New England town, went to an expensive liberal arts college, and had your New York phase afterward, you can always get that published. Throw in a lot of boring people having boring sex and your book will be everywhere. Tell that story from a douchy white male perspective and you’re pretty much guaranteed a spot on the best seller list. It’s what people expect to read when they pick up a book. They don’t want anything from a perspective different than their own, because it’s uncomfortable and challenging.

After R-ing TFA: yep, pretty much.

6 Likes