Understanding Media 101

And we don’t even know where “sea” comes from. Maybe from the old agricultural substratum that gives us “wisent” and “goat” and “arwit” and “nut” and “labyrinth” (last via Greek). Maybe from another substratum…

3 Likes
5 Likes

Sophisticated propaganda is about framing and emphasis.

9 Likes

Mistakes were made.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I really wish I didn’t have to subscribe to 20 different publications just to read the news/opinion these days.

7 Likes

Yeah, I almost didn’t post because of that. I got it to work via the preview on my Twitter app.

6 Likes

Still no reflection on you, though. :hugs:

5 Likes

Why I’ve dithered about subscribing to just about anything except print. And those are dying off.

5 Likes

If you can read a newspaper only 5 times a month, (or have to go through contortions to read more), only certain stories are worthy of your time. But if you can read even the little stories, then your estimation of that newspaper’s value can change.

One of the nytimes reporters wrote a “news analysis” piece that could be read as defending Trump’s negotiation “strategies.”

but if you read Baker’s reporting on a regular basis, the thrust is " Trump as a omnishambolic president". If you don’t subscribe, you can’t read Baker’s reporting on a regular basis because most of his articles don’t “merit” looking beyond the firewall.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Much cuter!

2 Likes

“Old data” from prior to April 2018 doesn’t mean much if the data was phone numbers, which don’t change very often. And yes phone numbers used to be much more public, but that was before identity theft was so popular.

5 Likes

And before a call to the company to say “hey I have a new phone, can you transfer my number?” would give free access to all the 2-factor authentication stuff so that you could totally take over all of another person’s accounts even when they thought they had extra security.

7 Likes

On the one hand, censuring an African-American writer for telling an anecdote about how the n-word was directed at him is every bit as ludicrous as Mosley claims, and he has every right to be outraged about being told he’s not allowed to say it.

On the other hand…

I do not believe that it should be the object of our political culture to silence those things said that make some people uncomfortable. Of course I’m not talking about verbal attacks or harassment. But if I have an opinion, a history, a word that explains better than anything how I feel, then I also have the right to express that feeling or that word without the threat of losing my job. And furthermore, I do not believe that it is the province of H.R. to make the decision to keep my accusers’ identities secret. If I’ve said or done something bad enough to cause people to fear me, they should call the police.

…it’s breathtakingly naïve to think that the only kinds of harmful speech that should be shut down are verbal attacks and harassment. That companies should just be responsible for providing workplaces that aren’t conspicuously hostile, rather than having them strive actively to create workplaces which are respectful.

Again, I think that in the instance he describes, both the employee reporting the language in question, as well as HR for restricting it, were probably out-of-line, given the details provided. But throwing out the baby with the bathwater, by implying that hostile behaviour has to escalate to the point of harassment or verbal attacks before it should be stopped, is going a bit too far in the other direction.

And, in a reputation-driven world like a television writer’s room, where the bigger your name is the more power you hold, it’s frankly ridiculous to say that all reports to HR should be made public, including the accuser’s identity. That’s exactly the kind of policy that leads to people not reporting harassment for fear of retribution.

3 Likes

I hear that Quentin Tarantino might be doing a Star Trek movie.

1 Like

NYT doesn’t ask you to log in if you turn JavaScript off

4 Likes
11 Likes

Putting this here as a reminder that often these “bombshell books” come at the expense of public information.

Killing a story or delaying it until you have details is one thing. This was not that.

8 Likes

In other words, often times journalists are not working in our interest, but in their own…

6 Likes