User Inconvenience / User eXaspsration Design

It’s definitely a cult, and there are definitely specific use-cases where it “just doesn’t work”.

(I do like the keyboards though)

5 Likes

You monster

:laughing:

7 Likes

So it’s easier to use the computer, without having to fight it again and again and again and again whenever I’m trying to open several files when they aren’t all listed in one group, or import several files into an app when they aren’t all listed in one group, which are important things.

One suggestion was to select all these files and move them into a single folder so I could open them in one action. No. Because I’d have to move them out of their proper folders or in some cases their Calibre library, to do that…

P.S. 2 use-cases:

I want to open several books to see what each book says about certain events. I know I don’t want to open other books which match the same keywords I’m using, so I’d rather skip them.

I want to import several files into the same renaming app, so I can add (Calibrized), import them into Calibre, and then copy them onto an external disk. Labelling them (Calibrized) helps me keep track of which files I’ve imported into Calibre and which ones I’ve skipped. I also use colored tags, but they are operating-system-specific so not as reliable as I’d like. That use case is specific to my library management system, of course.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have found that in newer Windows too. So instead of trying to fight with the graphical user interface, you simply type in the name of the commands you want to run. It’s usually fast and easy – but still such an ironic reversion that I can’t imagine it is a sign of sensible UI design.

8 Likes

Oh, they had it docked. I could see the icon, but I couldn’t figure out how to click on it. That was because I’d forgotten Macs have those mechanical touch pads, not the touch-sensitive ones I’m used to. Even though I tapped pretty sharply as my frustration increased, I never hit “mechanical click” force. Since there were no buttons at the bottom of the touch pad (alternative input choice), and since I couldn’t tab across the screen and then press enter when the right icon was selected, I was completely stuck.

I’m 3/4 the way through a UX design programme. Users are not supposed to have to let go off all their preconceived notions to figure out a UI. They’re supposed to be able to apply their knowledge of how the real world (not necessarily other UIs) works to the UI and the hardware that goes with it.

I totally believe your advice to forget other UIs and learn the Mac way to use a Mac. I guess my point is that is the total opposite of the “intuitive” experience Apple claims to offer. If it were intuitive, I would have figured out how to click the icon.

7 Likes

Macs have settings to enable or disable tapping. To have the system enable tapping without any way to disable it makes it harder for those of us with coordination or proprioception issues. To have the system disable tapping without any way to enable it makes it harder for those with arthritis.

Some Windows machines advertise that they let users disable tapping and gestures, and then don’t let users disable tapping or gestures.

Unfortunately, the Mac system preferences for this are or used to be full of animation… I could only use that prefpane with a book blocking part of the screen.

5 Likes

This.

But have you ever thought that maybe you’re just not cool enough to use a Mac?

Gods, I hate them with a passion now…

8 Likes

If the answer is greater than 4 does it return “A suffusion of yellow”?

Because that would be a feature.

6 Likes

Ah, yeah. As @MarjaE noted, tapping to click is an option. There are actually a surprising number of options, given that it’s Apple, for the touchpad. Enabling tap-to-click is the very first thing I do on any Mac because I can barely use it otherwise.

There are actually three layers of clicking on the touchpad - tap, click, and force-click. Depending on how you set the options there are actually four layers, since there are left and right clicks (though I think there’s no actual physical clicky bit, it feels like there is). Like 3D touch on the iPhone, I never actually use the clicks or force-click. I have right-click set to tapping with two fingers which is easier. I was just looking in the settings though and the force-click actually does things that I use all the time - quick look in finder, and looking up a word you highlight (also accessible from the right-click menu). But I’ll probably forget it exists.

I also switch to “normal” scroll direction because what they call “natural” is anything but. Actually, I could be wrong but I think they may have stopped making “natural” the default because I used a macbook in an Apple store recently and don’t remember being annoyed like I usually am.

I do agree that it’s disingenuous - and unhelpful, even harmful - for people to describe Apple UIs as “intuitive”, because there is a sometimes-steep learning curve. I think it could be described as something like “naturalistic”, though. Many/most complex physical, hands-on tools (including e.g. cars) are not completely obvious either. And they aren’t designed to be intuitive, or for a novice to pick them up and use them without training - they’re designed to get the job done in the best possible way. Once you know how to use the tool properly, it does feel very natural, and an extension of the self.

In this analogy, Windows is probably actually the most intuitive. It is not the most elegant tool for the job, though.

6 Likes

I hope to see, someday in my lifetime, some sort of cross-platform metadata/tagging feature as standard. Sure, some media or office file formats have their own proprietary metadata built-in, but there’s nothing that’s consistent, a standard part of the OS, across all file formats, readily searchable, and doesn’t break when you copy/move files (especially to/from an external drive or another system). I’m kind of amazed that hasn’t become a standard feature.

7 Likes

As I’ve noted more and more, the tools we are allowed to use to make more tools should not be headed to a land where we are all as fucked as that statement. It should not be going this way at all. How the fuck are we going to figure all of the things we need to figure out? If we get shoved back down into servitude to a company-town global economy, even the demographic transition could be reversed, making extinction a real possibility for the first time.

9 Likes

That got much darker than I expected, but I’m here for it.

8 Likes

It’s been a long fuckin day in windows-land.

7 Likes

Can we talk printers?

I needed to print out a document to take to the DMV.

And I needed a new printer.

So I went to Walmart, bought one. It came with a CD. Useful? To someone?

I plugged it in and connected it to my computer, to avoid dealing with WiFi.

It all started well and good. The system autorecognized the printer and downloaded the appropriate software.

But then when it came time to print there were a series of steps I had to take involving pressing a variety of buttons together that would then make the printer spew lots of printed instructions that I had to follow. And then more instructions and more. I had maybe 20 pieces of paper.

and then an hour later I got to print my one piece of paper.

Ask me what happened when i tried to connect it to my phone …if you want to get punched in the face.

11 Likes

I’ll risk asking … What manufacturer?

4 Likes

HP LaserJet. It really is a pretty good setup for printers compared to days of old but I just do not get why they suck so bad even now.

6 Likes

Because HP has adopted the Gillette model: sell a cheap handle (printer) and make bank on the blades (ink/toner).

If I had to guess, the fact that you had to use so much ink to even start using your printer isn’t a bug, it’s a feature.

11 Likes

Because HP sucks so bad now.

Since the split into HP Enterprise and HP, Inc. anything under Inc. has gone to hell. Okay, all of those products were going to hell before the split, but it’s a just a hot mess now.

My current advisory today still stands with Brother. Laser. What ever options you see yourself needing

9 Likes

I just found this little thing, which seems to be on topic:

4 Likes

Yeah, but weren’t the transitions artfully done?

3 Likes