Wanderthread Redux (Part 2)

1 Like

No. No, there isn’t. In fact, there is no “always” or “never”.

2 Likes

Not on the menu, there aren’t.

It’s important to build alternatives.

But these won’t usually be electoral alternatives.

So they aren’t relevant to what people choose to do with the few electoral options on the menu-- usually either not voting, and not getting counted, or voting for the lesser of two weevils, and not necessarily getting counted because of gerrymandering, the fucking rotten buroughs senate and the electoral college.

2 Likes

Yes, when I’m talking about “more choices”, I’m not talking about voting for the Greens or whatever. Electoralism in the USA is a totally futile waste of time.

But voting has never been the only way (or a particularly effective way) to achieve political change. Very little of the history of working class political victories involved voting in legislative elections; strikes etc play a much more significant role.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

How about “You Don’t Have to Join the Military to Die for Your Country!”

1 Like

People are afraid to strike, what w/many unions being in bed w/management. And they don’t want to lose their jobs, as it’s so fucking difficult to get unemployment benefits.

And how many strikes would it take to put the world to rights, especially when it seems there is so much fear, manufactured or otherwise? Folks tend not to think logically when they are afraid. I know fear holds me back from trying to lead others to a better way of life. Because my experience with humans has taught me that for the most part, they would rather stick with the known than try a possibly-better unknown. Sure, I could probably find like minds on the Internet, but that’s equivalent to being an armchair-revolutionary.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s real.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
  1. This whole thread is not intended in any way personally. I’m commenting on broad social trends, not demanding individual action. Keep in mind that I’m a disabled recluse who rarely leaves my land and only ever deals with people in person when absolutely necessary; I’m in no position to criticise anyone else for inaction.

2. Situations like this never arise in easy circumstances. Yes, the US status quo makes organised resistance extremely difficult. But it wasn’t easy at Blair Mountain/Peterloo/Haiti/etc either. The great bulk of victories against patriarchy/plutocracy/white supremacy were achieved in the face of vigorous state repression.

3 Likes

Why does it seem like I coulda wrote that? :slight_smile:

It seems…oh screw that, I am feeling things more deeply as I get older when it comes to improving society-at-large. I need to work on that. I have problems interacting w/others at times.

2 Likes