Wanderthread Redux (Part 2)

1 Like

I can say it now: I worked for Ipsos, a major marketing-research corp. We did one where we called Canadians and asked them about fracking; this was back in early 2019.

Out of people who were willing to take the survey, there were some that were quite ticked off about it and some who weren’t. But they were all fairly polite, if I remember correctly, in their responses; unfortunately, I don’t really remember the respective proportions of the pro vs. the con folks. I do remember that the ones against it were very well-informed and gave me reasons, and the ones for it seemed to want it for economic reasons. And then geographic area; I don’t remember if we just called folks in Alberta or in other provinces .

:thread:

1 Like

Storytime:

A) In my late teens and early twenties, I was part of the Sydney neopagan scene [1]. Although having a surface appearance of vaguely-liberal apolitical hippyness, there is actually a strong right-wing undercurrent in Western paganism. Amongst our group, there were cops and military and security guards and one notable arse who’d previously fought as a mercenary for Rhodesia.

Almost all of our seasonal gatherings were held at a bush camp at Minto, west of Sydney. A few half-derelict cabins and an old hall in some forest above the Georges River.

B) Back when I was in Sydney, the longest-standing and most reliable Greens politician in the NSW Parliament was Lee Rhiannon. She was an old-school Sydney Green; her parents were communist anti-apartheid activists, she went to high school at SGHS (the adjacent sister school to my high school, SBHS), and she’d been involved in the peace movement organising against Pine Gap in the 1980’s.

I’d completely stopped paying attention to NSW politics (or anything else outside the lab) after I started my doctorate. So, I was curious what happened to Lee.

In the late 2010’s, there was a sustained and eventually successful campaign by the Tasmanian-based Green liberals to drive her out of the party. So, now, she’s mostly retired, apart from serving on the committee of the SEARCH Foundation. Which is the legal successor to the old Communist Party of Australia, and mostly concerns itself with preserving the records of the party.

The SEARCH Foundation has one major asset surviving from the CPA days, a bit of property. Renting it out as a venue is how they pay their bills.

Guess what that bit of property is? :slightly_smiling_face:

Regardless of your position on prohibition: how would this story be reported if a Chinese meth smuggler were caught in Canada?

Micromanaging supposed wastage down to the cent. At a fucking McDonalds. Jesus.

Chinese drug smuggler caught in Vancouver; bail set at $100,000.

1 Like
1 Like

I was going to say “remember this ludicrous nonsense from early in the Trump regime?”, but actually the BlueAnon Russiagate fools are still doing it:

I had to show proof of vaccination before they’d let me on HMB Endeavour, BTW.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, I remember all the jokes about it from the 1960s, when air travel became (somewhat) more affordable for the masses.

That, and hi-jackings.

IIRC, there was a period when so many American leftists were hijacking planes to Cuba that the Cubans started having problems based around “where do we store all these jetliners?”.

2 Likes

It’s just terrible. It’s not why I quit watching Colbert, though; he just got annoying and more smarmy.

From earlier in the year:

I only knew it was a thing when MAD magazine made fun of it.

Heck of a job, Brownie.

1 Like