Wanderthread

Back onto British imperialism:

(some animated text)

And then when people wonder why it’s hard for people like me to say “yeah, I’m atheist”, it’s because of shit like this. Not the priest. The litigious, vexatious assholes who splatter the rest of us who couldn’t care less.

This is why when I criticise religious stuff I try to specify what flavour of which I speak. I have a problem with controlling, fascist, supremistic fundamentalism, regardless of what the dressing is. And why I refer to these kinds of assholes as “atheist fundamentalists”. I would rather see efforts focused on things that do promote religious superiority, not stupid shit stunts like this that only damage the credibility and image of everyone else who just don’t happen to believe in a god, gods, or afterlife.

1 Like

Headline of the week:

1 Like

Looks like the DSA-LA problems are finally shaking out:

https://twitter.com/lanadelraytheon/status/936157299499864064

I’m getting caught up on This American Life where Breeze Brewin’ talked about a certain very popular show from the late 70s and early 80s, and how he was such a big fan of the show and owned the General Lee as a kid. I know after the Charlestown shootings a lot of companies made the press cancelling their sale of things like the General Lee:

So I was curious:

I don’t have any proof that the production has been started again, but all the outlets banning confederate iconography are still selling some of the more iconic ones.

3 Likes

Wait… it’s NOT Florida?

4 Likes

I’m tempted to say that someone should do a Dukes of Hazzard parody with the Confederate symbols replaced with Swastikas. But the modern American right would unironically enjoy that, so no.

There’s still some value in Grant and Sherman for counter-propaganda, though…

The whole Dukes of Hazzard thing makes me think of media from The Man in the High Castle.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Take what Diaz says here and apply it to Cold War USA.

1 Like

Instead of hanging out the window with a Bow and Arrow, maybe he could use a Flame Thrower?

Australia’s most publicised moment of fascism:

Frank should have a look at church history sometime.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/played_straight/status/936425588281217025

3 Likes

BTW, y’know that US habit of declaring war in situations that aren’t actually war? Drug War, War on Terror, etc.

They use the terminology of war in order to justify the abuse of power as a wartime necessity. This is an actively manufactured thing; the people shaping the language know what they’re doing.

The Cold War was another one. The US security state had grown fond of their wartime powers, and weren’t keen on giving them up. A pseudo-war was required.

4 Likes
1 Like

The CorpDems are rattled; they’re making another push at trying to paint Bernie as a misogynist and/or predator.

2 Likes

Global bastards.

1 Like

To be fair to him, he isn’t denying the historical violence in the name of God by the Catholic church. He’s been very critical of all fundamentalism, and equates violent Christians with Muslims
http://launch.newsinc.com/?type=VideoPlayer/Single&widgetId=1&trackingGroup=69016&playlistId=19132&siteSection=catholiconline&videoId=31213155

I don’t like to speak of Islamic violence, because every day, when I browse the newspapers, I see violence, here in Italy. this one who has murdered his girlfriend, another who has murdered the mother-in-law. and these are baptized Catholics! There are violent Catholics! If I speak of Islamic violence, I must speak of Catholic violence . . . and no, not all Muslims are violent, not all Catholics are violent. It is like a fruit salad; there’s everything. There are violent persons of this religion. this is true: I believe that in pretty much every religion there is always a small group of fundamentalists. Fundamentalists. We have them. When fundamentalism comes to kill, it can kill with the language – the Apostle James says this, not me – and even with a knife, no? I do not believe it is right to identify Islam with violence. This is not right or true.

6 Likes
1 Like

Interesting graph:

The GFC annihilated the Black middle class, and the Obama years cemented extreme intra-Black inequality.

What happened to the Latinx community in 1995?