Wanderthread

2 Likes

2 Likes

Fascism on the rise? Just attack anyone who dares to criticise the police or military. That’ll fix it, sure.

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/937517207713656833

3 Likes

A thread on Honduras:

I know nothing about local Honduran politics, so I can’t vouch for reliability.

Major theme of libTwitter today:

“How dare they insult the honour of those brave and honorable patriots at the FBI?”

FBI “honor”:

2 Likes

I hadn’t previously realised that Hoover began his career by organising the first Red Scare.

…and The Washington Post was as useless as always.

1 Like

Bankers realising that everyone hates them…

I doubt that they’ll find many dim enough to fall for that.

Fred Hampton’s bed after the FBI were done with him:

E9FDBC35-D0A0-4F5E-81E9-BCD28810CECC

And why they killed him:

3 Likes

It’s mostly baseless, most of the US involvement was spread around in 2016 where US inaction was twisted into actively supporting the military coup and subsequent government. Zelaya’s constitutional reform was to allow his re-election, and it was extremely partisan in reception. So the opposition party controlled Supreme Court ordered Zelaya to be removed by the military. By the time things were established as a military coup it was time for an election for the next president so the focus became trying to ensure the results were democratic - which by all indication they were.

The problem is that when the Conservative party overseeing the coup, the suspension of rights, etc get elected they never gave back those suspended rights. And now they have a laughibly corrupt conservative who is hypocritically seeking to secure his seat of power - the very action they used to exile the political left and then target the left in their country.

How this becomes the USes fault is mostly because we didn’t go to war against the overreach in political power by Zelaya’s ousting and didn’t immediately condemn it, the laws were not broken so much as stretched as the party did what the US GOP is mostly doing now. On top of that, it’s easy to say their constitution was only at risk because the US involvement in the 80s. If anything, it’s a very similar circumstance to the US government with more time and continued absolute party control across the government.

A dear friend of the family is likely going to be deported back there, because unlike the “youth” our right-wing party is targeting immigrants and minorities.

2 Likes

Now Libya is a mess because the US removed a bad government and replaced it with nothing. Pretty much the polar opposite to Honduras.

2 Likes
1 Like

There’s a bit more to it than that.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/02/libya-intervention-nato-imperialism/

It appears that the Libyan uprising was substantially manufactured by the West (i.e. equipping local insurgents and assuring them of support if they attack the government) in order to provide an excuse to overthrow Qaddafi.

It also appears that the West (not just the USA; France was heavily involved as well) were severely non-selective in their choice of local proxies, and those armed proxies are now wreaking havoc across Africa. At least one of the Western-backed groups was already openly declaring their intention to ethnically cleanse Black Libyans, and is now involved in the revived Libyan slave trade.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/eoinhiggins_/status/937726128952958976

2 Likes
2 Likes