Wanderthread

I’m sorry about your healthcare situation. No-one should have to worry about not being able to get care for their kids. It’s barbaric.

On this thread, I focus on description more than advocacy. I attempt to explain what I see happening, but I am not in control of the US left.

This is not politics as usual.

The M4A push appears to have two major goals. Firstly, signal to the left that the Dems are not a completely lost cause. Secondly, force the wavering collaborationist centrists to pick a side.

M4A is not going to pass the current Congress. Neither is anything else that isn’t evil. Nothing good can or will happen until the fascists are overthrown.

The healthcare situation in the USA is horrific. But it is not the first priority of the current political reality.

Three million Puerto Ricans. Eleven million undocumented Americans. Twenty-five million North Koreans. Fifty-one million South Koreans. Eighty-one million Iranians.

If the Trumpists are not overthrown ASAP, they will kill millions. Directly. With guns and bombs. At home and abroad.

The issues here are bigger than domestic health policy.

3 Likes

This is not new, but it’s highly relevant to the M4A push.

On-topic bit starts at 5:30.

See also Naomi’s Step 5.

It’s good to point out these others (Colfax, St. Louis, etc.), but I’m not sure how they conclude “And the Las Vegas mass shooting was the deadliest in, at the very least, modern history” since all these others are equally modern (Colfax, St. Louis, etc.).

(I’d define modern as post-1492 in America, as opposed to post-1346 in Europe.)

1 Like

Thoughts and prayers. Both parties.

1 Like

And for current relevance:

“Only” 21 dead, but over 200 shot.

Want me to cut and paste the text in a PM? It’s a few thousand words, but worthwhile.

1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like

Much of the US gun debate essentially boils down to a contest between “we should maintain dominance of the working class by disarming them” and “we should maintain dominance of the working class by arming ourselves”.

Notice how the “bad” gun owners are portrayed as poor black people in the cities or poor rednecks in the country? Whereas middle class suburban whites are the canonical image of the responsible gun owner.

Despite the point that domestic violence handgun use in the suburbs forms a core part of the firearm murder toll.

3 Likes
3 Likes

There’s a neat encapsulation of American party politics in that. The modern Democrats are a bit racist and a lot classist. The GOP are a bit classist and a lot racist [1].

The Democrats’ gun messaging focuses on poverty. The GOP gun messaging focuses on race.

[1] Which is not to imply equality between the parties. The classism of the GOP is as bad as that of the Dems, and their racism is much worse.

1 Like

Black left Twitter is pushing back hard on Liberal gun control messaging; they don’t trust the Trumpists with this, for good reason.

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/915099427697823744

Liberals continuing to heavily push the “disarm the mentally ill” angle, too.

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

History thread:

1 Like

This is Vox’s latest response to the Vegas massacre:

On the one hand: an interesting and relevant article.

On the other hand: militarism. Constant, reflexive worship of all things military. This is the water that US culture swims in.