Wanderthread

Agreed, but…

He won’t be impeached unless he loses the base. He won’t lose the base so long as he keeps the fascism flowing.

3 Likes

Despite having been terrified since the election (and for a significant portion of the campaign, too) of the very real threat of war in both countries, I’m honestly going to go with “none of the above.”

What little legitimacy he had is thoroughly exhausted. The GOP hates him, world leaders think he is a joke, he’s under investigation by the FBI and the only person who actually seems to credit him with anything except complete idiocy is himself (and a small portion of the American public, but let’s not go into that now).

Who is going to join a coalition? What makes you think he has the wherewithal to even bother trying to draft a dodgy Blair-style dossier? I totally see him trying to start a war, but I just don’t see it getting anywhere at all.

As far as Iran goes; yeh, not seeing that one either. Sanctions? Sure. Drone/tomahawk strikes? Probably. Boots on the ground? Nah.

2 Likes

The public does not decide if he gets impeached or not.

3 Likes

No, the GOP Congress does. And they will not commit suicide in the primaries, no matter what Trump does. Unless the base flips, Congress will not impeach.

When they lose in the midterms anyway, that’s when they’ll start to impeach.

2 Likes

For several election cycles, the GOP have been loudly proclaiming their willingness to subvert the democratic process by whatever means necessary. The GOP are in charge of electoral administration in the majority of states.

I see no reason at all to expect them to administer the midterms honestly. It would be suicidal for them to do so.

2 Likes

We will see. I think they’ll lose anyway, or at least have a come to Jesus moment… but it’s too early to tell.

here’s another great example of what i was talking about. pay particular attention to the australian prime minister, a man of apparently overage or better intelligence, as it slowly dawns on him that 45 is not following his main idea and is instead flying off the topic to some shiny thing he thinks he’s found in the pm’s words.

7 Likes

Yet another in the endless list of demonstrations as to why third-way compromise bullshit is catastrophically destructive idiocy:

2 Likes

That is priceless. When Turnbull, of all people, looks like the smart one in a conversation, you know you’re dealing with an absolute cretin :smile:

5 Likes
3 Likes

People like this quisling or Manchin aren’t just unreliable pseudo-Democrats. Their toleration by the establishment Dems is actively destructive to the American left.

Why would anyone support a party willing to endorse and promote slime like that?

2 Likes

Looks like someone forgot that you’re supposed to say “globalist” these days.

4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

In support of my earlier statement that Trump is basically a dead duck now:

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t relieved…

2 Likes

Impeachment is still off the table unless the GOP base turn against Trump. Indictment would have to get past the pardon and the USSC.

There’s also the point that swapping Trump for Pence still leaves you with an antidemocratic fascist party in charge, now with extra theocracy and competence.

Pence doesn’t necessarily get you clear of Putin; I don’t think his claims of ignorance are credible, and he has his own dodgy Russian contacts. He might not be quite as thoroughly owned as Trump, but he’s still compromised.

1 Like

Possibly additionally compromised by how much he knew about how much Trump was compromised.

2 Likes

Somehow implying that Pence isn’t also as dirty as the rest of them…?

Don’t confuse Trump’s vocal-but-ignorant voter base with the career politicians in the GOP. Indictment (if it happens) will be immediately followed by impeachment. None of the GOP particularly liked him in the first place; at best, he was a distraction that they could point in the right direction to obfuscate their own agendas. As soon as the ostensible head of the Republican Party is an indicted criminal and threatens to poison the brand? They’ll flush him as quickly as the rest of their principles.

4 Likes
5 Likes