Wanderthread

2 Likes

Not only do they earn more, they usually don’t have to expend the same mental effort to get there.

It’s not just that they’ve got connections and absorbed networking skills from an early age (but that helps and most do). Decision fatigue is real – it helps when you don’t have to decide between food and shelter, when you can afford to eat healthy food, when you don’t have to negotiate time off from a job to take your classes, when you don’t have to pick between an OT shift, homework, or that party where you’ll meet the guy who knows the CEO of Company X where the best jobs in your field are. It helps when you don’t have to work a midnight shift with class at 8 in the morning.

Level playing field, my ass.

4 Likes

JFC. “A few bad apples”, yeah and I’m queen of the fairies

3 Likes

A few bad apples spoil the whole barrel.

4 Likes

Exactly this.

When you live your life governed by stupid aphorisms that you don’t understand, you wind up with a really fucked up sense of morality.

For example, my mother confusing “there’s nothing to fear but fear itself” and “you wanna cry? I’ll give you something to cry about” :laughing:

3 Likes

First off, he does not have autism. I have autism. Autistic people can’t pass for normal, because we’re so different from the norm.

Maybe he has Asperger’s, which is not autism but probably close enough. That’s a big maybe, but everyone and their mother can get diagnosed with Asperger’s these days, and many more are self diagnosed.

Regardless, even if he were fully autistic, it totally does not excuse him from being a racist sexist recordholding douchecanoe. I’m not like him, even if we share similar diagnoses. Most of my friends who are autistic make me look like a Republican operative by comparison. So, if he’s autistic, it’s completely separate from him believing this bullshit, and he should own that.

I’m also sick of the “seeing things differently” load of crap. I do have certain abilities that neurotypicals don’t have, but they are either overkill, useless, or stuff the average person can be equally good at if they just practice. Besides, what about the 90% of autistic people who don’t have these abilities? We’re not all geniuses. We’re not all Temple Grandin, and we’re not all Rain Man.

And when I describe the negative ways in which I see things differently, nobody believes me and even fewer people care.

“seeing things differently” is just something the norms tell themselves to get happy clappy about a disabling condition.

3 Likes

As soon as you’re born they make you feel small
By giving you no time instead of it all
Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all
A working class hero is something to be

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
They hate you if you’re clever and they despise a fool
Till you’re so fucking crazy you can’t follow their rules

When they’ve tortured and scared you for twenty odd years
Then they expect you to pick a career
When you can’t really function you’re so full of fear

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you’re so clever and classless and free
But you’re still fucking peasants as far as I can see

There’s room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill
If you want to be a hero well just follow me
If you want to be a hero well just follow me

1 Like
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/ultraslice/status/931954534074716160

1 Like

One of the clearer demonstrations of my usual rant:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewshubIreland/status/931624951970521093

https://mobile.twitter.com/diracdrynx/status/931997862229168128

Forced-birther activism isn’t about protecting life, it’s about punishing “sluts”.

5 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Exhibit A: why leftists view authoritarian/imperialist/militarist liberalism as a catastrophically dangerous/treacherous ideology.

8AFACB77-6755-4142-847B-681905BF9BBB

2 Likes

Two recent examples:

1. Middle class white liberals up in arms at the idea of shooting elephants in Africa, but totally comfortable with AFRICOM shooting people in Africa.

2. Same folks deeply shocked by reports of sexual assault in Hollywood, but largely ignorant/complacent about this:

3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

This could be in the dictionary under “begging the question”

1 Like