Wanderthread

Updated versions of this have become a Youtube genre; there’s lots of 'em.

2 Likes
1 Like

An obscure bit of US history. John Adam’s war, that touched on the Haitian Revolution/Louisiana Purchase and created the Jefferson Presidency.

1 Like

3 Likes

Merry, on the stores found in Isengard:

Would you trust salted pork from Isengard? Would you trust Treebeard to know the differences between meats?

3 Likes

A bit of historical detail that nicely communicates just how bad the Sarah Island prison was:

There is a rock on the island that was known at the time as the standard location for adult prisoners to commit suicide by throwing themselves into the sea.

Not all of the prisoners were adults.

There was a second rock that was the established spot for the kids to kill themselves.

2 Likes

Interesting thread on the intersection of anti-semitism and white supremacy:

https://twitter.com/skieswrld/status/934392688807436289

https://twitter.com/summerisles721/status/934649940147687425

2 Likes

Nope, I don’t really look that white, sorry.

Do Chinese people look white? What about Indians or Arabs?

1 Like

I was careful to label it “interesting” rather than “correct”. There’s all sorts of intersectional funkiness to poke at there.

3 Likes

Lord, it’s like no one has ever heard of Sammy Davis Jr. or Drake or the Falasha before!

Of course, Jews are a diverse community, but I think a lot of people who don’t know that assume that the European Ashkenazim or American Jews are somehow representative of all Jews. But of course they aren’t.

But the construction of whiteness as an overarching identity has indeed come to include at least some Jews, although as others in that thread note, it’s pretty contingent.

4 Likes

Anecdote, but everyone I knew in Pontiac in the early 2000s was an antisemite. I didn’t really understand it until I was older and exposed myself to online hate groups, but it ran deep in the black and Latino communities I knew.

EDIT

I should also say the white people I knew were also not a fan of black people or Jewish people.

2 Likes

I have no personal experience with any of this, but would this be comparable to the position of not-deliberately-passing-but-often-passing Black and American Indian people?

The Democratic Party has not put a non-incumbent person over 60 into the White House since before the Civil War.

If they nominate Bernie or Joe or Elizabeth in 2020, they will lose.

Based on recent history, if they nominate Cory Booker he’ll probably win, though of course @Wf’s concerns about voter suppression and other shenanigans are legitimate.

2 Likes

Still, Ashkenazi Jews don’t look like Polish Catholics. At all. This confuses people, even though it shouldn’t.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Youtube Russian history 101:

To understand Cold War Russia, you need to have a grasp of just how badly the Russian people were fucked over for the previous few centuries.

2 Likes

A bit of Iranian history to go with it:

1 Like

Same goes for China, really.

1 Like

Starting to dig into interwar German history. Messy.

2 Likes

I think this thread about the predecessors of that NYT piece touches on some of your themes here too.

https://twitter.com/_ElizabethMay/status/934774021811589120

4 Likes