What are you listening to: PodCast Edition!

My friend Karen had one of her stories read on Levar Burton’s podcast. Pretty cool! She’s a previous National Book Award finalist.

5 Likes

Currently listening to the new second season of Victoricity. It is a radio drama that has a Steam-Punk/Terry Pratchett/Douglas Adams feel about it. I enjoyed it enough to support their Kickstarter.

1 Like

A bunch of British lefty comedians plus Nate from What a Hell of a Way to Die, plus assorted academic/journalist/activist guests discussing global politics.

Not too serious, but good content.

1 Like

This is my latest favorite podcast.

She’s a geologist but so far the catastrophes have a theme of human error. It’s interesting and I really like Jess Phoenix’s voice. Her husband is her sidekick, but it’s her show.

1 Like

this is my most recent favorite: the episodes are interesting, funny, and short.

2 Likes

I’m going to give that a whirl. Thanks!

1 Like

my favorite parts are when you learn how each of the two (seemingly) random topics are connected in his narrative, and also when he gives his 1-5 star reviews of each at the end.

1 Like

All electronic music podcasts here, but:

I’ve been listening to Esoteric Modulation faithfully.

The occasional Sysex Dumpster even though sometimes they slide over into being a-holes.

Podular Modcast every once in a while.

3 Likes

The West Wing Thing:

It’s an episode-by-episode hatewatch of The West Wing, hosted by a pair of centre-left (i.e. SocDem) film & TV scriptwriters. Josh Olsen is the guy who wrote A History of Violence; Dave Anthony is a comedy scriptwriter.

Alternates between critiquing Sorkin’s terrible politics and his lazy scriptwriting. The first episode is a little bit rambly, but it’s fun once they get into the swing of it.

Blowback:

https://blowback.show/

It’s a history of the American war on Iraq. Well done, good production.

Just in time for Halloween a friend recommended Bone and Sickle. It’s been excellent listening as I’ve been working and walking outside in the cool air and the turning leaves.

BONE AND SICKLE is a celebration of the intersection of horror, folklore, and history. Every episode offers a bounty of frightful tales, fantastic legends, and macabre historical anecdotes harvested by eccentric artist, collector, and rogue folklorist Al Ridenour, author of The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas. Co -host to the show is Sarah Chavez of The Cabinet of Curiosities and Death in the Afternoon.

4 Likes

Presently:

Finished (13 episodes):

1 Like

John Green went to my high school/school where I grew up bc my dad was a teacher. He is a lot younger than me. His first book Looking for Alaska is based on his experiences as a boarding student there.

1 Like

My list:

Silverball Chronicles
Deep inside baseball pinball - so in depth it’s too much but still the hosts are so knowledgeable

Breaking Down Patriarchy Season 1
The next season is not good. The first season changed my life.

They read through an entire Women’s History curriculum. The cohosts for each episode are so intelligent. This is so thoughtfully put together.

I highly recommend to listen to the first 4 episodes and the one on Roe v Wade.

Maintenance Phase
Such a fun podcast and yet so deep. It gets into all kinds of fad diets and nutrition science. Some of the stupidest diets are the most fun episodes. But it’s been really useful to me in questioning diet culture.

You’re Wrong About
Goes back into a lot of scandals of the past, particularly ones with women, and re-examines them. They did a multi part series on OJ. I really like the one recently on the plane crash in the Andes.

Knowledge Fight
Only occasionally but they have the most up to date news on the Alex Jones trial

The Man Enough Podcast
I like the premise of exploring how we define masculinity. Unfortunately one of the hosts gets a little preachy and just in general needs to let the guests speak more, but it’s a good premise w good guests and so I’m still out on whether it’s worth dealing w the annoying host of not.

Overshadowed
Another great premise and the hosts have potential but I’m not sure if it’s going to get better. However the premise - siblings that were overshadowed by their more famous brothers and sisters - is great. And they do seem to have done the research in between bong hits. The one on Motzarts sister is the best so far.

Spiritually Fit
This is one of my clients. Her podcast is really well done. Meditation and relaxation.

3 Likes

I’m guesting as my brother’s guest on his podcast today!

4 Likes

I guess this is like a podcast.

3 Likes