What Are You Listening To?

Bandcamp is doing that thing again where they waive their cut and artists get 100% of what you pay them. (In turn, some artists have pledged to donate proceeds to various charities; others really need the help because regular gigs have been canceled for a while.) And music is metaphorically flying off their metaphorical shelves.

Anyway… some highlights from my haul this morning:

3 Likes

I apparently touched something that triggered a wave of directed advertising at me, for a new (?) manufactured singer named Alina Baraz. Below is an example. Is anybody hearing anything here of value that I’m missing?

1 Like
2 Likes

Not that I can tell. It sounds like run-of-the-mill pap.

3 Likes

A favorite of my father’s. Thank you.

Edit - And I’ve now queued up a morning’s worth of “Stuff Dad Listened To” so I’ll be melancholy all day.

2 Likes

Gah! Forgot to post this yesterday…50th Anniversary of Kent State

Two sides of the same song.

The playing in this one is good:

While in this one the first guy gives up even pretending to play in the first minute, but it’s even more funny because of that:

1 Like

1 Like

I’ma find out how well Wilco’s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot holds up. It’s been about 5 years since my last listen.

3 Likes

Youtube’s been tossing synthwave songs at me lately, and it’s an interesting hit of 80s nostalgia.

Started when I watched the video for Carpenter Brut’s Turbo Killer due to an Ars article on it:

And since then, it’s been tossing a lot of Gunship at me:

2 Likes

Abney Park doing a cover of the Neverending Story themesong?

Aaaaand now I wonder how well a steampunk remake of Neverending Story might work.

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Wow.

1 Like

Sadly more relevant now than ever:

2 Likes

Hanns Eisler

1 Like

This and this (and dancing as well as listening):

3 Likes
3 Likes

I remember my dad always had these cassettes in the truck. It was that or Paul Anka. I went with hooked on classics

3 Likes
3 Likes