What Are You Listening To?

I know some people who refuse to listen to Philip Glass, but this is probably his most listenable. Good for quiet background music while programming or what have you.

7 Likes

BBC-house-of-cards-NO

5 Likes

I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi, and his music was the soundtrackā€¦ very nice.

4 Likes

Heā€™s in a lot of movies. Errol Morris wonā€™t use anyone else.

4 Likes

Indeed. The only CDs I have by him are a couple of film soundtracks. Itā€™s good stuff.

1 Like

I think my favorite part of Candyman is Philip Glassā€™ soundtrack. I havenā€™t tracked down the CD yet, but Iā€™d like to.

3 Likes

I did not realize he did the soundtrack to Candyman!

2 Likes

Some of his early stuff is a little relentless and hard to take. My wife leaves the house whenever I play Koyaanisqatsi. The soundtrack to Mishima is another great one, too.

I canā€™t get Garbage out of my head. I happened across this one pair of live songs, then started following the links from there and realized that I had heard them a lot back in the day and liked a lot of their songs but never knew who they were. I wish Iā€™d gone to some of their concerts.

As a side note, Iā€™m having a bit of trouble finding concerts to go to. All the bands on my list are touring Europe and/or the rest of the world, but it seems no one wants to come to the U.S. anymore. :frowning: We used to go every few months, but the last year was a wash and so far we only have 1 scheduled for 2019 (LoA). Iā€™d love some suggestions for bands that are touring this year that I should see. (prefer small venues, not arena concerts; unusual bands is a plus, pretty much any genre).

7 Likes

:musical_note::notes::saxophone::guitar::drum:JAZZ FEST STARTS TODAY!!!

Itā€™s itā€™s 50th Anniversary and the lineup ROCKS HARD. They are livestreaming it on WWOZ.

https://www.wwoz.org/

3 Likes

Adam Ant is touring this fall! Planning on the Milwaukee show.

4 Likes

Heā€™s coming to Chattanooga.

3 Likes

I fell asleep with youtube on autoplay and it went off on a weird tangent through 90s pop, then shut off. I woke up with Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down stuck in my head, so I thought it mustā€™ve played. But it wasnā€™t in my Youtube history at all! I had to look it up by the lyrics. I have no idea where it came from (random dream soundtrack?) or why it got so stuck in my head.

But looking up the lyrics was interesting because it seems pretty directly about codependent relationships and the writer wrote about how heā€™d written it as a 15 year old and thought it was weird to ask not just will you be there for me when Iā€™m down, but also will you stick around when Iā€™m better.

6 Likes

I just listened to ā€œLowā€ for the first time. Itā€™s definitely different.

5 Likes

Caravan Palace. I just bought mp3s for a couple of their albums. Boy are they great. For example:

2 Likes

oh god that album is so amazing. :heart:

1 Like
5 Likes

oh my god, i love this so much. i want a whole series.

4 Likes

As I was barely waking up one morning in a motel about 20 years ago I had a really vivid dream of hearing Joy Division perform ā€œSheā€™s Lost Control.ā€ It was one of the live recordings, maybe this one

I had never been a Joy Division fan before that. I didnā€™t really know anything about them. Still donā€™t.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not yet sure if I like it.
I had to listen to ā€œStation to Stationā€ a number of times before I got it.

2 Likes