Whatcha Reading?

Just appeared with the LT. Kerensky getting a mysterious illness that Dahl ends up having to cure in 6 hours. I look forward to seeing where they go with that.

1 Like

well, iā€™ve finally finished the Tales of Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser (which i mostly loved, honestly ā€“ great characters, with very classic D&D-style adventures), and now iā€™m doing a literary 180, as it were, and iā€™ve switched to the new Beren and Luthien book by Christopher Tolkien, forever trying to capture the true intended essence of his fatherā€™s unfinished works.

4 Likes

Why read a novel by one horror master when you can read one by TWO!?

I read 25 Stephen King books last year. I took a break to read 5 by Atwood, back on the horror train!

I am 10 chapters in and have no idea what the hell is going on. Its great!
Older King writes better when heā€™s co-writing, left to his own devices he wanders terribly. (Looking at you Mr. Mercedes)

3 Likes

Has anybody taken a look at The Power?

I reserved it at my library and they waitlisted me with 8 people in line ahead of me. The way reservations work is if anyone else has it on reserve you canā€™t renew it, meaning you have only two weeks to read it. Turns out that wonā€™t be a problem; itā€™s so engaging Iā€™m about half done in two days.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Thatā€™s messed up, man.

2 Likes

The second enormous volume of Isaac Asimovā€™s biography, ā€œIn Joy Still Felt.ā€ The two books give an interesting view of a really smart guy growing up with Russian Jewish immigrant parents in Brooklyn NY in the 1920ā€™s and 30ā€™s, at first intending to be a research chemist, but then turning to full-time to writing.

5 Likes

Havenā€™t read that one, but I Asimov was a good read.

3 Likes

Bachman enrolled at Tulane University in the fall of 1975, but his time there was rocky and brief, ruptured by a horrific incident in January at the Sigma Chi house, just off campus. Although Bachman was not a member of the frat, he told Friedman heā€™d been hanging around the house with a friend from Elkins Park, a boy a year older named Ken Gutzeit. Suddenly, a man had appeared with a knife and slashed Gutzeitā€™s throat. ā€œThe word Jamison used was beheaded,ā€ Friedman told me. According to news reports, Gutzeit was killed by a 25-year-old student librarian named Randell Vidrine. The two were said to have been feuding since the previous fall, after Vidrine called campus police on Gutzeit for eating a cheese sandwich among the stacks. (ā€œI know it sounds incredible, but from what we understand they never argued about anything else,ā€ a police spokesperson told a reporter at the time. ā€œIt was always about the sandwich.ā€) Gutzeit stumbled onto the frat-house steps and bled to death, surrounded by Bachman and some two dozen other witnesses. (A grand jury declined to indict Vidrine.)

The Sigma Chi house was right across the street from my dorm. At least when I went to Tulane, they were the most generic frat boys on the planet.

5 Likes

Since the movie is the talk in Whatcha Watchinā€™, I felt I must sayā€¦

I think I must be the only adult I know who read a Wrinkle In Time back in my youth, thought it was a fine book.

AND THEN NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT AGAIN.

I have rough ideas as to the story, but it did not make an impression on me enough to know whether the movie was being true to the source or not. Iā€™m tempted to reread it to see if I can pick up why it didnā€™t make an impression on me, but not sure if it would.

5 Likes

I read Wrinkle several times, A Wind In the Door a few times, and Swiftly Tilting Planet a couple of times. (I tried to read Many Waters once, in adulthood, and it was terribad and I gave up quite early on.)

I just finished reading Iain M. Banksā€™ Use of Weapons. It had its moments, but itā€™s a good thing I have read other Cultur novels, because it was horribly depressing and disturbing and not what I needed to read right now. I know Iā€™ve read Consider Phlebas and (my favorite) The Hydrogen Sonata; I could have sworn I read another one some time back, but looking at the list on Wikipedia, none of the rest seem familiaar.

I need to find some light, uplifting escapism I think.

7 Likes

I recommend The MythAdventures of Aahz and Skeeve, by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye. They may not be enduring works of classical literature, but theyā€™re certainly not dark or depressing either.

5 Likes

Now THOSE are books from childhood I enjoyed AND remember.

Thatā€™s Perv-ECT!

Edit - Ohā€¦I never realized they started up again after '93. If only I had time\ambition for leisure reading

3 Likes

thatā€™s the one with chair right?

2 Likes

Yep. :hushed:

3 Likes

I read a few of the Aspirin books, a ways back. Didnā€™t realize there were more though!

I wound up grabbing the top book on my pile, Live Wires: A History of Electronic Music. Not escapist, but not a downer either at least :slight_smile: Itā€™s definitely a partial history since it starts with tape recording, barely acknowledging previous recording media and not mentioning 19th and early 20th century foundations. ā€œElectronic musicā€ as we know it (as opposed to synthesizer design) mostly started with music concrete and Bebe Barron, with the Theremin as a sort of side curiosity. If you ignore turntablism, anyway. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Really the history isnā€™t linear, and maybe credit will be given when the subject comes up.

4 Likes

I read A Wrinkle In Time and the other two books when I was in grade school (or maybe when I was in Jr. High ā€“ but Iā€™d swear it was earlier), and I agree that thereā€™s no way I could tell you if the movies (movie?) are true to the books, or not.

But I distinctly remember the concept of the tesseract, and how it kind of blew my young mind, to the extent that I constructed a real-world, three-dimensional tesseract shadow out of toothpicks and Elmerā€™s glue, just to prove to my brain that I could.

Iā€™d probably also credit that series with my first introduction to the concept of time travel. Again, I canā€™t recall the plot details of any of the books, but I think there was something about those stories that primed me for the comings of later works by other authors. The stories of Gene Wolf, for example, resonated for me in a way that I donā€™t think they would have had I not been exposed to Lā€™Engle.

8 Likes

Thereā€™s a strange new post on GRRMā€™s not-a-blog.

I can see four options here:

• Heā€™s drunk-posting
  • His LiveJournal account has been hacked
  • Heā€™s trolling his fansā€¦
  • Or thatā€™s some sort of coded message to say that TWOW is finished, but heā€™s not allowed to announce it yet.

Iā€™m cautiously optimistic that itā€™s #4, just because he has to know that every post is going to be scrutinized for TWOW updates, but Iā€™m not getting my hopes up too high.

6 Likes

Iā€™d love it if he was hinting at TWOWā€¦ but the postā€™s tagged ā€œtelevision.ā€ Maybe heā€™s teasing the potential prequel/spinoff series HBO was considering?

4 Likes
2 Likes