Whatcha Reading?

No, not really. Unless the person had an idea!

1 Like

Iā€™m slowly finishing Gibsonā€™s The Peripheral, and re-reading Catch-22. I started Hannah Arendtā€™s On the Rise of Totalitatiranism, but felt sick every time I picked it up. I got a signed copy of John Darnielleā€™s new book, but with my husband working a lot of late nights, our night time routine of reading in bed with tea and bourbon is a little shattered. Itā€™s hard to finish things lately.

5 Likes

Down Among The Sticks And Bones by Seanan McGuire and We Have No Idea by Jorge Cham ( PhD comics) and Daniel Whiteson. I like to mix fiction and non-fiction.

3 Likes

I started Hampton Hawesā€™ autobiography, Raise Up Off Me, yesterday. Couldnā€™t sleep well tonight and got to page 100 or so in one sitting.

I recently reread Up The Down Staircase. Itā€™s 55 years old by this point, but still relevant to Trumpā€™s America and its crumbling infrastructure.

Iā€™m currently reading this book of Martin Gardner essays I found on my way to work:

10 Likes

Iā€™m about halfway through Elizabeth Moonā€™s The Serrano Legacy, which the cover blurb describes as ā€œan action-packed SF epicā€ but the pacing is weird (and mostly slow). The action is very loosely packed. For too long itā€™s mostly just spoiled rich people being assholes, plus fox hunting (but I repeat myself)ā€¦ IIIIIIN SPAAAACE. And then thereā€™s some treachery and villainy and survival and whatnot, but with long interludes of yacht redecoration and people managing their portfolios and bluebloods disapproving of each other.

7 Likes

Bonus points for making it look like the tree on the cover is growing out of your index finger. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I did what?

Canā€™t unsee.

5 Likes

Have you ever read The Speed Of Dark? Interesting Elizabeth Moon book about autism. Not sure what to make of it. I think itā€™s interesting, but also misses the point.

2 Likes

A pretty good (if somewhat jargony) engagement with the concept of neo-liberalism and what is actually means:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/undoing-demos

Brown is a political theorist, so that informs her work pretty strongly.

7 Likes

I got halfway through Doughnut Economics before the library loan expired (couldnā€™t renew because thereā€™s so many holds on it). It hangs neoliberalism out to dry as well, showing the fallacies behind its models. I was really enjoying it, and plan to get back in the holds queue to finish it.

7 Likes

Things finished recently: Mievilleā€™s short story collection,Three Moments of an Explosion, Zinnā€™s Peopleā€™s History of the United States, Gruberā€™s The Return, Beagleā€™s Summerlong, and Takedaā€™s Monstress.

Reading Mievilleā€™s This Census Taker, Galbraithā€™s The End of Normal, and had a little start on Sitaramanā€™s The Crisis of the Middle Class Constitution.

4 Likes

Nope, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve read any other stuff by Moon. I might have to check it out though ā€“ Iā€™ve gotten to a much more lively point in the story and am glad I stuck with it.

3 Likes

How is that? Is it like a ā€œbest ofā€ collecting from Scientific American and his books, or does it contain stuff Iā€™m not as familiar with?

3 Likes

Mostly Scientific American stuff.

Iā€™m reading in dribs and drabs, and Iā€™ve gotten through the sections on physical science, social science, and pseudoscience. Math, philosophy, arts, and religion are next to go.

The thing about Martin Gardner is that he doesnā€™t firehose you with information, but leaves just enough to tantalize and get you curious about learning more.

6 Likes

Oh and volume one of Drive, by Dave Kellett (I have a hard copy), but if you want to read it all for free (and past volume 1), go to

http://www.drivecomic.com/archive/090815.html

and get started.

3 Likes

Iā€™m assuming you mean the journal, but please feel free to correct me if Iā€™m wrong. Iā€™m currently boycotting Scientific American because my negotiations with that publisher are close to making my head pop off. Iā€™m clearly off topic here, so I should likely create another topic: How publishers gouge libraries? This is, by no means, a fair statement, but when one has sat on one side of the negotiation table for many years across from many, many publishers and content providers, the vagaries of economics tend to fade in the face of unadulterated greed.

ETA: Forgive me, I probably should have added to Fuck Today, rather than here. It happened today and was too visceral.

12 Likes

Iā€™d read the hell out of those rants.

9 Likes

Maybe some day, after Iā€™m out of the business. Iā€™ve likely said too much already, but itā€™s the epitome of worlds colliding: Libraries really are our last bastion of hope for freely available information, and when that slams into economies of publishing, itā€™s not pretty.

Anyway, as to what Iā€™ve been reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz. Iā€™m trying to work my way through sci-fci/dystopian classics.

11 Likes

I hear that. Iā€™ve spent some time working in/for/with a university library, (Teaching Librarians to know how to connect to the WiFi? Madness!!) and you see (and read of) some of this happening. Itā€™sā€¦ not good.

5 Likes