Why We're Underestimating American Collapse

Should we end up in a world without a single democratic superpower but with a few wars in the wrong places, then I am less sure that authoritarianism won’t become the new normal than I would like to be.

2 Likes
  1. Look it up.
4 Likes

“Superpowers” could just be imperialism with a friendlier appearance, and perhaps not a good idea anyway.

I looked it up. It appears to be a year, although it could also be an extremely rough latitude/longitude (Yemen?), or an extremely hot temperature.

Could you perhaps be more specific about what I am supposed to look up?

4 Likes

Like them or not, they are certainly influential.

This, I assume:

7 Likes

Then Putin and his hackers should have worked to get Hillary or Bernie in. Now they have an unstable child in charge of nukes who will probably start a war with North Korea just to show everyone how strong he is. Plus if there is a civil war, the worldwide economy is going to take a massive hit which means Russia will lose money.

We deserve to go the way of the dinosaurs at this point.

5 Likes

I glanced over that article. I didn’t see any examples of a place with a strong tradition of democracy abandoning that tradition because a superpower failed an ocean away.

I’ll have another look.

4 Likes

I don’t know how @Voynaimor intended the reference, but I’d guess it’s not intended to be an exact analogy.

3 Likes

If the United States stops existing as an entity, the primary things I think I’d miss are the National Park system and NASA. Those are the only nice things we have that we do better than other countries.

5 Likes

Most of the NASA people will probably join the ESA. As for the National Parks…makes me sad they will be gone

5 Likes

I would include the FDA . . . But I’m biased.

2 Likes

You are assuming they were trying to elect Trump. As yet that’s unproven. What we do know is that Trump is in bed with the Chabadniks and that they have a big presence in NY and Moscow. We know Putin looks kindly on the Chabadniks. But the chain from him to Trump is not yet proven. If it is I’ll come back to you and say I was wrong. But at this point I still think Putin had more to gain from Sanders than Trump.

2 Likes

It isn’t, just pointing out that major upheavals to political structures do happen and that the consequences are not always disastrous.
I should have guessed that US-centric Google wasn’t perhaps so hot on what was perhaps the most important year in European history before 1914.

4 Likes

But, presumably, a lot more to lose from Clinton than from either trump or Sanders…

4 Likes
9 Likes

When one party wants to eliminate people like me (with respect to my gender, sexual orientation, neurology, and yes, politics), and another party wants to ban certain pesticides to keep from creating people like me (with respect to my neurology alone), I know which side my bread is less likely to get killed on.

12 Likes

So this weeks business trip took me to the South.

Hadn’t been to this facility before, so that’s always fun. Flew out on Monday, plant tour in the afternoon.

Huge facility covering acres. Original bits of it are over a century old.

Again, in the South.

Employee parking is 2:1 ration of pickups to other vehicles. A few Maga and Trump stickers. Didn’t see any confederate flags, but wasn’t looking for them.

Tour was hot and dirty, but when we lingered in the control rooms ( We’re from Corporate IT and here to help) there were more Trump stickers.

Next to the UNION meeting reminders.

Had to make sure as the company as a whole is pretty anti-union. Enough that smaller sites have been shuttered when they voted to unionize. But, again, the place has been there over a hundred years. So, even that far below the mason-dixon, a union wasn’t out of place.

But they still want Trump.

11 Likes

“A few Trump and MAGA stickers” means that like any other company the employees are diverse. It’s true the folks who do the stickers are not the folks who might choose to have their own stickers if they felt safe having them, or were willing to provoke something.

The problem with the “let Dixie go” crap is you abandon all dissidents to general misery and death in a totalitarian shithole. Even more of a shithole than America had been.

13 Likes

I WOULD PREFER THAT THE PLACE I LIVE BE

• part of the United States
  • part of Canada or Mexico, whichever is closer
  • an independent country with its own embassies and passports

0 voters

3 Likes