A conversation gone wrong, in a jif. or possibly a gif

Heck, I bought a copy of Hedgehog Art Through The Ages for my friends girls.

15 Likes

If we could manage something as high quality as ā€œFirstDraftā€ which is a blog that evolved sort of out of the commetns sections of a few early blogs in a totally not comparable way to this. But they deserve a plug. I think a front page is a good idea, but like this -

and then with comments.

5 Likes

Iā€™m less interested is ā€œbuilding a businessā€ out of this place, and more interested in "making things we want."
As in: in donā€™t want to be in the t-shirt business, but I might eventually want a shirt with a graphic about this place.
In the unlikely event of any ā€œprofitā€ Iā€™d assume kick that towards @LockeCJ to offset running costs.

17 Likes

Myself as well. I simply canā€™t complete anything that seems tedious to me, unless I have toā€¦and my life is structured in such a way now so I donā€™t have to.

7 Likes

I persuade myself nowadays that if someone else does the boring jobs Iā€™m either creating employment or teaching valuable life lessons.

6 Likes

Iā€™m with you

9 Likes

Wikipedia

Boing Boing (originally bOING bOING) started as a zine in 1988 by married duo Mark Frauenfelder and Carla Sinclair.[3] Issues were subtitled ā€œThe Worldā€™s Greatest Neurozineā€. Associate editors included Gareth Branwyn, Jon Lebkowsky, and Paco Nathan. Along with Mondo 2000, Boing Boing was an influence in the development of the cyberpunk subculture. It reached a maximum circulation of 17,500 copies.[3] The last issue of the zine was #15.

Fwiw, Jason only has one reference in the whole wikipedia article.

14 Likes

I changed my avatar from the CEO of Pepsi to a stock photo of a young black girl.

It was an interesting thought experiment: what if people actually think Iā€™m my avatar?

11 Likes

I share your concerns and, as you know, have always been opposed to running this in the fashion of a commercial zine. I mostly view the (hypothetical) blog as a fun thing for us to do together, and worry that too high a profile will place us in the position of managing a community rather than enjoying one.

The problem is that the BBS ranks threads according to activity, which means that the stuff at the top will always be 1.) discussion topics and 2.) things people are really opinionated about, like politics. These will tend to bury articles about science, history, art, etc., which people might find interesting, but donā€™t necessarily feel the need to weigh in upon. So, I like the idea of a blog as way to introduce things like that.

One reason Iā€™m a fan of the (micro) subscription model is that it would limit our growth by only admitting new members who are serious enough to chip in $1/mo.*

*And one further thought I had about that was that if we actually had hundreds of members paying $1/mo to maintain a small site with very few operating costs, we could actually use some of that to commission stories and articles from professional writers on whatever topics we choose. I have no idea if that would interest anyone else, but I would personally find it exciting to be part of a project which actually funds the arts, rather than insisting upon them for free. Thereā€™s a lot you can do if people are willing to pay just a little bit.

17 Likes

The bits need to be paid for somehow. That could be a business enterprise, someone generously footing the bill, or the community contributing the dollars.

Personally, Iā€™d be happy to contribute, but the decision is probably best made by the people who are putting in the actual work. Iā€™m just over here in the peanut gallery, wasting a little time between work tasks. My opinion is worth the number of dollars Iā€™ve contributed so far, which is zero.

11 Likes

Heā€™s an intellectual rentier, not a maker.

18 Likes

I like this idea!

9 Likes

Just like our local community/public radio station. Except instead of various radio programs, we might be posting how-to videos, solo or cooperative art projects, podcasts, etc.

6 Likes

Thirded. Also have no idea how to organize and execute it, but Iā€™d chip in to a kickstarter and maintain a monthly for a buck no problem. If we all kicked in 10+ bucks up front pretty soon weā€™ll have ā€˜paying for a lawyer to think about it for usā€™ money.

You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think heā€™s
Really sick and they wonā€™t take him.

And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think theyā€™re both faggots* and
They wonā€™t take either of them.

And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people walkinā€™ in, singinā€™
A bar of ā€œAliceā€™s Restaurantā€ and walkinā€™ out? They may think itā€™s an
Organization!

And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day . . .
Walkinā€™ in, singinā€™ a bar of ā€œAliceā€™s Restaurantā€ and walkinā€™ out? Friends,
They may think itā€™s a MOVEMENT, and thatā€™s what it is: THE ALICEā€™S
RESTAURANT ANTI-MASSACREE MOVEMENT! . . . and all you gotta do to join is to
Sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar.

Ā * - context people, context. Itā€™s satire.

8 Likes

Promoted pieces can be manually pinned to the top of the list - but I also like the idea of a front page.

3 Likes

Patreon

12 Likes

Ah yes, for me at least, ā€œKickstarterā€ seems to have become a category of noun, like Fridge or Ziploc. Patreon is probably the better crowdfunding platform for this.

7 Likes

Howzabout user-supplied recs for things we actually like with an affiliate link appended to 'em as a way towards helping with running costs? Book recommendation threads, neat gadgets and so forth? Iā€™d rather see what everyone else here thinks is good and help with upkeep than buy weird kitchen unitaskers from Mark like at BB. Turn the affiliate link thing on its head.

14 Likes

And .gifs. .gifs cost money, but theyre important.

8 Likes

I like this suggestion, and not just because it opens up an entire #stuffwelike category of blogability.

7 Likes