A Roundup of Worldwide Hope

…because not everything sucks all the time, and it’s good to remember what we’re fighting for as well as what we’re fighting against.

Such as:

9 Likes

Awww, his little newborn cap is handknitted!

(Saves to Pinterest for next time someone claims babies can’t handle handknitting because “scratchy”)

7 Likes

I’d think it would depend on the yarn. I’ve worked with blends marketed as baby-soft as gifts for my cousins’ children (though by the time the blankets were finished, they weren’t newborns. :wink: )

5 Likes

It totally depends on the yarn, but there’s a pernicious myth all hand knitting is scratchy.

So the New Zealand PM is doing good on many different fronts – showing you can be pregnant and PM, and showing newborns can wear handknits!

8 Likes

We need more entries here, so I submit this:

Students in one small town in Bosnia have succeeded in their campaign to desegregate education. Now, all pupils will be educated together, regardless of the religion of their families.

8 Likes

Why is there not a Netflix series about this lawyer

mccoy and bernard

10 Likes

These days, this counts as hope for those of you in the US as well.

Protests are growing in Russia, against pension cuts (as always, the media accept the framing of this as “reform”). This is denting demiczar Putin’s popularity, and is for once unifying the opposition to his rule.

8 Likes

I know this was lost in the whole Trump tweet controversy, it really is a big deal that Lebron James is funding a public school.

Here’s hoping more philanthropy goes toward working with the government instead of setting up alternatives to public infrastructure.

12 Likes

Doesn’t say how much it will cost though, but hopefully less than two for $608.

4 Likes

I would watch the shit out of that.

3 Likes

The way the TV business works now they’d make it a reboot of The Dukes of Hazzard :thinking:

2 Likes

An over-the-top Southern, very conservative, easy on the eyes female lawyer, who takes on drug defendants because she’s a hard-line believer in civil liberties? I can see a lot of directions this can go, but not Dukes Of Hazzard

2 Likes

Her dad could be one of the Duke boys? An old man with those stupid Confederate flags everywhere, always talking about his grandpa and his uncles and Prohibition and Hazzard County’s notoriously crooked cops?

Wouldn’t put it past them. Somebody owns the rights.

2 Likes

Better honey from city bees.

3 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/09/07/she-made-the-discovery-but-a-man-got-the-nobel-a-half-century-later-shes-won-a-3-million-prize/

Justice!

7 Likes

“I feel I’ve done very well out of not getting a Nobel Prize,” she told the Guardian on Thursday. “If you get a Nobel Prize you have this fantastic week and then nobody gives you anything else. If you don’t get a Nobel Prize you get everything that moves. Almost every year there’s been some sort of party because I’ve got another award. That’s much more fun.”

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
7 Likes
5 Likes

In the US state of Virginia, couples must declare their racial background from a long list of options including “Aryan”, “Moor” and “Zoroastrian” before getting married. A lawsuit is aiming to put a stop to this.

Mr Glasberg notes that in Virginia, “this requirement reflects a regulatory scheme embodied in the Virginia Racial Integrity Act of 1924, originally called ‘An Act to Preserve the Integrity of the White Race’.”

5 Likes

Shit, if “Aryan” and “Moor” are on the list, little old white me would have to check multiple boxes just to be safe.

(How about “Frankish”? If I had to pick just one, that would cover most of the bases. Not a race, but since races are social constructs anyhow, meh.)

Do the people who come up with this shit know anything about the history of Europe for the last 3,000 years? At all?

6 Likes

Yes, but what they knew wasn’t true.

They probably interpreted the history of classical civilizations in terms of invaders from the north, building civilization by oppressing the natives, then allowing intermarriage and/or immigration from the south and east, and then the natives and/or immigrants corrupting civilization, until a new wave of invaders could renew it.