A Roundup of Worldwide Hope

They’re ALWAYS “frustrated”! THEN FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO.

LOL, and I remember all too well what “frustrated” used to connote…

2 Likes

Good points.

1 Like

I just had a good grin watching John Oliver light up the UFC over something that was only peripherally related to the shityear.

1 Like
7 Likes
4 Likes

I wouldn’t be too excited about this. His challenger last go-around (when I lived in his district) came within heel-nipping distance of him. I think a lot of that is due to how odious King is depressing his base in a Trump +16 district.

This new guy ran on being Trump’s toady. The argument was King couldn’t toady enough because he was removed from his committees. In effect, this guy is the nightmare: the Trump guy, but not like a bad Trump guy. He’s gonna bring about the change Trump wants, but not in like a bad way. I think Scholten will have a much harder time countering this. It’s the palatable Trumpism … the shit they’ll run in 2024 if Trump loses.

I’m fucking terrified.

But it’s still great to watch a Nazi eat shit on his way to try and keep his job at the shit eating plant.

6 Likes

YESYESYES!!!

7 Likes
4 Likes

Will Russia begin digging their environmental hole a little less quickly?

5 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Home Secretary Priti Patel called the tearing down of the statue “utterly disgraceful”, adding that “it speaks to the acts of public disorder that have become a distraction from the cause people are protesting about”.

Surely, this isn’t a time for introspection.

“The reason you can’t have nice things is that they all were bought and paid for by the slave trade.”

3 Likes

Maybe she shouldn’t confuse a tacky old ornament with a nice thing?

3 Likes

Here’s the video.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52954994/slave-trader-statue-torn-down-in-bristol-anti-racism-protest

The reason that the statue exists is to commemorate his charitable works: “He supported and endowed schools, almshouses, hospitals and churches in Bristol, London and elsewhere.” But if the schools, the hospital, the church exist because of the slave trade-- and you value the institutions, how much of that esteem is tied to the existence of those horrible crimes?

If your hometown library was endowed by Carnegie, does borrowing a book make you complicit in crimes against labor?

A statue is easy to get rid of. It’s the other, more useful gains that are not.

3 Likes

I think wealth is being confused with the people who died and slaved to make one guy rich so he could build his city on a hill.

3 Likes

In that vein:

3 Likes

a very interesting take from (hat tip Mark Symons)

For example, Reynolds, a Quaker and innovative ironmaster, gave larger sums to charities in Bristol in the early nineteenth century than Edward Colston but is largely unknown and is not memorialised in the city.

and

… Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of this whole Victorian charade is the fact that the much vaunted charitable efforts of the Colston Societies were largely superficial. For example, in 1884, the combined contribution of all the Colston related charities made up only 1.5 per cent of the total cost of relieving the poor that year. Not only was the amount collected fairly insignificant, despite all the fanfare, but it was also distributed in a badly organised and arbitrary manner…

myth deflated, then.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Reynolds sounds like a guy that earlier generations should have made a statue of, you know, to make up for the fact that his nearest competition was a fucking slaver.

2 Likes