A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

Mardi Gras in Sydney began in 1978 as an unauthorised commemorative protest for the Stonewall Riot.

My old Kung Fu instructor was one of the ‘78ers. They were attacked by cops, arrested, and had their names and addresses printed on the front page of the newspapers the day after. At the time, she primarily worked as a self-defence instructor at posh girls’ schools; her business was destroyed by the publicity.

These days, the festival is controlled by comfortable middle class assimilationists [1], and the cops are invited to the parade. Which is why we now have this happening:

[1] There have been recent efforts by a faction to change this, which mostly resulted in the incumbent Mardi Gras board rewriting their constitution to keep the protesters away from power.

https://prideinprotest.medium.com/open-letter-from-the-lgbtq-community-regarding-mardi-gras-relationship-with-the-police-and-b375bfe41a22

3 Likes

Lismore, NSW.

That bridge normally looks like this:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Context from last year:

3 Likes

Why fundie ratbags should have no place in drug rehab:

2 Likes

“Same policies, only competent. We love bombs and hate commies even more than they do!”

Sound familiar?

1 Like

While the mainland is hammered by epic floods, in Tasmania:

My garden is surviving, but it ain’t really growing. I water every day, but it’s bone-dry below the topsoil.

OTOH, I’m very glad that we haven’t had too many bushfires so far.

3 Likes

The scissors that “justified” the shooting:

The wound that “justified” shooting a restrained teenager three times in the back at point-blank range:

How Oz media reported on the shooter:

2 Likes

As with all of the ex-military cops in the USA: fascism is imperialism turned inwards.

2 Likes

Whereas, in contrast:

2 Likes

It was an all-white jury, of course.

In a territory where the population is 30% Indigenous.

3 Likes

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Do we have an astronaut program? No.

Do we have any significant space launch capability? No.

Do we have a pack of juvenile fools playacting as imperial troopers? Yes.

5 Likes

Australia threatening the Solomons in an attempt to force collaboration with the Western line on China:

“Pacific family”.

1 Like

In order to defend Freedom™️ and Democracy™️, of course.

2 Likes