A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

3 Likes
4 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

If they were in Cronulla, well, it would have made sense…

4 Likes
6 Likes

I had no idea that this was even a thing, but also that it’s taken this long to (start to) happen is even more embarrassing

3 Likes
5 Likes

This has honestly pissed me off more than anything this week, and that’s no easy task.

However, given this government seems to learn all its history from statues, why am I not surprised that they don’t give a shit about the humanities :expressionless:

4 Likes

Are not the Arts traditionally lumped in with the humanities?

Who is going to build the next round of fascist, colonizing, terrorist statues?

3 Likes

Bipartisan omnicide.

4 Likes
6 Likes

4 Likes

Tasmanian secession, anyone?

3 Likes

Hocking, the academic who fought for their release, has called the letters “every bit the bombshell they promised to be.” She says they show that the queen contravened a defining feature of a constitutional monarchy, which is that the monarch “remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters.” She did this by engaging with Kerr on “inherently political matters, even advising him on the powers of the Senate and, critically, the existence and potential use of the contentious and contested reserve powers to dismiss the government.” “The damage this has done to the Queen, to Kerr, and the monarchy is incalculable,” she writes.

3 Likes

SovCit daftness in Oz:

3 Likes

I have some professional experience in Australian nursing homes from my TBI-rehab days. They’re nightmarishly bad.

4 Likes