A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

It’s a mythical syndrome invented by American cops to “explain” why Black people keep mysteriously dying in custody. Related themes to the LAPD and NYPD bullshit of the Rodney King days about how Black people have “fragile necks”.

21st century drapetomania.

2 Likes

Welcome to NAIDOC week.

2 Likes

Overdue, relatively trivial and entirely symbolic. But it’s something.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Meanwhile…

And, of course:

2 Likes

Some years ago, I almost got a job working at Questacon.

Kinda glad that I didn’t, now; I would’ve felt obliged to resign in disgust.

1 Like

I had to look that one up.

1 Like

Covid App check-in now required for all adult Tasmanians whenever entering any business, no matter how briefly.

It’s no hassle; you just momentarily point your phone at the QR code as you enter.

This is in response to:

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Could you explain what a “super” is?

Superannuation (copy pasted here):
…a compulsory system of placing a minimum percentage of your income into a fund to support your financial needs in retirement.

Basically roughly 10% of your income is paid into a super account by your employer, provided you’re not in the hospitality/service industries in which case they’re probably ‘forgetting’ to do it…

5 Likes

Sounds super.

1 Like

I’ve run into US lefties who are amazed that the Oz government requires employers to contribute to their workers’ retirement funds. They reacted to it as if Australia were a leftist paradise.

Within the Australian context, the compulsory superannuation system is generally recognised as a neoliberal strategy to privatise & individualise retirement income, as a means of undermining and eventually destroying the previously existing system of universal state pensions for the elderly.

3 Likes

For the non-Sydney people: guess where most of the poor and non-white people live.

It isn’t where the current outbreak (or the previous outbreaks) originated from, BTW.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Oh yeah. I could see that. The tone of my comment was intended to be sardonic.

3 Likes

Greens state senator:

ALP state senator:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Due to a Tasmanian who tested Covid-negative in Tasmania, but then tested positive upon arriving in London.

Probably acquired en-route, but better safe than sorry.

2 Likes