A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

Kelly and whatshisname would label everything, making things still confusing, but a different kind of confusing.

3 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes
3 Likes

The ABC has been pumping out a constant stream of this cropaganda bullshit ever since the pandemic began. There’s a variant of this story every week, all based on unsubstantiated claims by employers, none of which include anything from the workers (who, almost without fail, eventually report an abusive boss fond of wage theft).

4 Likes

I’m not sure what’s more infuriating, the poor-farmers-can’t-find-some-slaves crap or just how blatant the ABC is being with it.

3 Likes

Ever heard Australia referred to as “the lucky country”?

I don’t know if that’s penetrated overseas, but it’s common in Australian parlance. Usually deployed in the service of mindless nationalism.

However, the original source of that phrase is from this longer quote:

4 Likes

The recently-reinstated (after temporarily “resigning” to dodge a sex scandal) Deputy Prime Minister of Australia:

4 Likes

How daft are things getting on the mainland right now?

This daft:

You’d think that folks would have learnt their lesson from last time, but no.

3 Likes

BTW:

3 Likes

Incidentally…who do you think would be behind most such bots?

The LNP? IPA? Random other Oz far-right nutters? US State Department? Falun Gong? Or, given that it’s climate related, some mining lobby group?

Who benefits?

Buggered if I know. It looks amateurish, but that doesn’t rule out state actors. But it could also just be a few random cranks who each run a dozen sockpuppets for the fun of it.

2 Likes

That’s a good question. I can easily see shitstains like the Young Libs/Nats doing it, but it could just as easily be foreign actors. The thing is, we’re Murdoched enough that it’s probably a wasted effort - we’re more than capable of filling the public discourse with useless white noise and disinformation by ourselves :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

&

3 Likes
2 Likes
  1. This is regrettably significant, because it seems to be pretty much the first time that an Australian government has even attempted to communicate with Indigenous people in their own languages.

2. Watch what happens to the sign interpreter when he switches language.

Still a long way to go.

2 Likes

As with Barnaby: I’m normally not a fan of snitching, but sometimes y’gotta make an exception…

3 Likes

Thread.

4 Likes

1 Like
2 Likes