A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

Melbourne’s Shrine of Remembrance is in the news today, so let’s have a history thread:

3 Likes

Victorian cops continuing their long tradition of behaving like Victorian cops:

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

Nothing endures forever.

2 Likes

NSW cops:

TLDW: cops have a couple of people on the ground, presumably arrested. Multiple people filming, all at distance (~15m+). One of the arrested sits up, probably gives a bit of lip, cops knock him to the ground. Some commentary from the observers in response.

Cop calls for backup and begins threatening everyone in sight (who have apparently done nothing but film at a distance and speak) with pepper spray. Swarm of backup cops arrive, cops tackle and beat up everyone they can get their hands on.

2 Likes
1 Like

Some seasonal history for the Festival of the Boot. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mr & Mrs FirstDog are watching it live in Perth; Tasmania’s Strategic Reserve Cartoonist Kudelka has portrayed Mr FirstDog for the occasion:

1 Like

Go Team Wood Duck. :trophy:

4 Likes

I voted for the wedge tailed eagle, just because the ABC ran some poor article about a farmer crying about one catching a lamb, and if there’s one thing farmers love more than backpacker slave labour, it’s poisoning wedgies.

4 Likes

Being a person who was brought up with all kinds of music, I had a Disney LP with songs from around the world, sung by a boys’ choir. The first Oz avian I ever heard of was this:

1 Like
1 Like

BTW:

3 Likes

But then there’s this one; you gotta cassowary eye when one of these are around!

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

3 Likes