A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

1. The extreme swing against the Coalition here is probably due to selection effects. People in Covid isolation are not a representative sample; they’re disproportionately poorer, less white, etc.

2. Note that four people went through the process of calling up the AEC and proving their identity just so that they could deliberately lodge an informal vote. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes
3 Likes

Emma Husar is an ex ALP MP who was driven from office in circumstances that suggest some very nasty intraparty backroom bastardry. Which would be entirely in character for the notorious NSW ALP.

Here she is expressing some mild criticism and not unjustified distrust of the new administration:

And here is a sample of the sort of replies that she’s routinely flooded with:

The ALP tribalists online are becoming just as obnoxious as the bougie white establishment Dems from the USA, and in very similar ways.

Ugh, I grew up around them. Some start out as mean white girls and snotty white boys from moderately wealthy families. Blech.

1 Like
1 Like

Where do I sign up to vote, LOL?

1 Like
2 Likes

While I will consistently support the Greens as the least-evil significant party in Oz politics, their Tasmanian leadership is consistently awful.

3 Likes

He’s a cunt.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Because that makes too much fucking sense?

I was an on-and-off Greens member in Sydney, and I signed up for the Tas Greens after I moved down here.

Once I became familiar with the Tas leadership, I let that membership lapse. I won’t be going back until there are new people in charge.

3 Likes

From thirty six years before Cook “discovered” Australia.

Image cut from this:

5 Likes

New Holland?

Is “Zealand” from “Zeeland”? There’s a Zeeland in Michigan.

2 Likes

Yup.

OTOH…

2 Likes
3 Likes