A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

Overdue and inadequate but important:

2 Likes
1 Like

We know from countless real world examples and a mountain of research that the most effective way of alleviating poverty is to just give poor people money. Not vouchers, not discounts, not loans; cash. Poor people are the best judge of what their money needs to be spent on.

This is by far the most efficient in terms of overall cost, as well as the most effective in terms of alleviating the harms of poverty.

There are two reasons why we don’t do it:

1. The creation of poverty is necessary in order to maintain the economic and political status quo, and

2. Sadistic classism.

2 Likes

Fuck.

Fortunately, the local Greens can probably be relied upon to vigorously resist the construction.

1 Like

Boeing Australia, of course. That’s just payoff for a corrupt provincial servant, not a promotion to the real imperial overlords.

2 Likes

3 Likes

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/uproar-over-new-pointsbased-system-for-welfare-recipients/news-story/150a60503a14f7a8559c249b5f60d242?amp

2 Likes
2 Likes

All hail the brave heroes of the NSW Health social media team. :wink:

Screenshot in case of deletion:

2 Likes

Given the quality of Australian ecstasy, that does not necessarily mean much MDMA…

3 Likes

Maybe it’ll be enough to affect people’s depression?

1 Like

Feel-good story:

The Nadesalingam family are Tamils who fled persecution by the current Sri Lankan regime. Their imprisonment in Australia was a disgrace, and the promise by the Albanese government to release them was rightly praised.

Less feel-good story:

Sri Lanka. The same state that persecuted the Nadesalingams. The state which has been committing blatantly obvious, widespread and well-documented murderous crimes against its Tamil minority for decades.

2 Likes

Not something to take seriously, but hoo boy it sometimes feels that way

3 Likes

Trust me, a lot of us living here feel the same way.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve never had a bad experience in using illicit hallucinogens. I’m convinced this sort of therapy would help me overcome, once and for all, the basic notion that I’m a bad and horrible human being. Yes, I know I’m not; but the irrational feeling/idea that I am is rooted verrrrrrrrrry deeply.

2 Likes