All The Feels

I talked to some who were camped out waiting at the Chaparral border crossing. It was good to see them getting some support from the Mexican population while they waited to cross.

5 Likes

NPR’s StoryCorps are always tear-jerkers for one reason or another, but omg, today’s was one of those where i stopped everything i was doing and just stood there and listened
 talk about being a witness to history:

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/01/615534723/the-busboy-who-cradled-a-dying-rfk-recalls-those-final-moments

3 Likes

Coincidentally, I just listened to this. He is interviewed in this program.

2 Likes

ooh, i think i must watch that.

1 Like

Big Sister sent some old photos of pop when he was stationed in China in '46

9 Likes

My niece is autistic, and it definitely affects her life. She does not speak much, despite extensive therapy to try to give her the ability to speak. (My Sister in Law has a blog primarily focused on Caroline: http://failure2thrive.com/ )

Caroline is currently very into The Wiggles, and my brother’s family is making the trek to Long Island this weekend to see them in concert, even though it’s a 9 hour drive for them.

The real source of Caroline’s fixation is Emma, the female Wiggle.

My brother and his wife made a request to The Wiggles for Caroline to see Emma backstage.

Not only did they give their family backstage passes, but The Wiggles are putting them up at a hotel and paying for their trip.

Now they are trying to decide when to tell Caroline about getting to see Emma backstage because she is already over the moon excited about the show.

I am really touched by what they have done. Very cool, Wiggles!

15 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes

Dayum. She kicked it!

5 Likes

In the US, anyway, formula is one of the most heavily regulated foodstuffs. It is safe, and a fed baby is better than a hungry one (plus, a bottle can give the non-birth parent time to bond, too). Breast-fed, formula, or a mix of both, do what keeps you from misery, and your child from being hungry.

And don’t judge people on their groceries.

19 Likes
12 Likes

Good job judgy lady never met my paternal grandmother, who firmly believed nursing mothers should have a glass of red wine before the evening feeding to help baby go to sleep.

And yeah yeah, breast is best, but if you can’t, you can’t. And sometimes you can’t because you won’t.

11 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
15 Likes

Given how many words I mispronounce because of this, I should really get this on a t-shirt.

11 Likes

I doubt it’s that many, but I appreciate the hyper-bowl.

12 Likes

My daughter is SUCH a reader and I always love mispronunciations. Today she wanted to buy “deckles,” AKA decals.

5 Likes

Why don’t patio and ratio rhyme? That is so unfair.

8 Likes

I was going to say something about being from different languages, but both words are descended from Latin, and the Latin pronunciation of “ratio” seems to be like the English pronunciation of “patio.”

So, I’m going to have to go with the standard explanation for inconsistencies between English spelling/pronunciation pairings: the English language hates its speakers and actively wishes them confusion and frustration.

9 Likes