All The Feels

That’s the only explanation that makes sense. :wink:

8 Likes

It’s not thought through thoroughly enough, though; all I know is that it oughtn’t be this tough to plough through an English sentence and determine its words’ pronunciation based on their spelling.

13 Likes

Both words are descended from Latin. But ratio is actual Latin, brought into English during the great vowel shift and anglicized the same way most other words of Latin origin are (nation, radius, and so on). While patio is a more recent import that is actually Spanish. So your first thought is right.

Not to pretend English doesn’t have the worst spelling! But patio is an example of one problem fixing it – sometimes you get people who would like to have consistent orthography, and sometimes you get people who would like to stop mangling pronunciation of foreign names. Which are not compatible goals at all.

10 Likes

Really? I thought it came to the English though the Irish, from the name of the distinguished carpenter, Patty O’Furniture.

10 Likes

OMG: this is amazing.

FYI, she managed it backwards so it reads down in order. I am in awe.

5 Likes

From May 7 to August 23… That’s a heck of a long time to devote your whole Twitter account to one joke.

8 Likes

Better use than mine.

4 Likes

I don’t have one, but I’m damn tempted to start one, just to be able to give her a :heart:.

bw%20mass%20applause

5 Likes
12 Likes

More evidence that the world has gone crackers.

13 Likes

Wipes eyes

Must be an onion farm…

9 Likes

Oh damn. I wasn’t expecting that.

6 Likes

Steve Perry + The Eels + Patty Jenkins. I’ll be goddamned.

4 Likes
13 Likes
17 Likes

this has been posted widely all over the place, but it fits here, too:

he posted on his twitter feed today that his son was so encouraged by all the support he wore his red nails to school again today, and people in his town (of all genders) are going to paint their nails in solidarity on friday. i hope people do it nationally.

8 Likes

The pics of the men painting their nails in support has me in tears. So sweet.

Disrupt toxic masculinity gen whatever you are when you are 5.

6 Likes

Miss America’s wedding.

My secret fixation is wedding dress shows, and they love to have pageant girls on as they know how to be on camera and look amazing in every gown.

Miss America came on Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta, and I watched her clip on YouTube. Somewhere in the comments, a person mentioned that her wedding is on YouTube.

Watch her husband’s reaction as he sees her walk down the aisle.

It is #weddinggoals

(I have it cued to the appropriate moment, but actually their whole wedding video is very sweet and nicely produced)

1 Like
7 Likes
12 Likes