All The Feels

4 Likes

Ha! That comment was the eppy-tome of wit.

4 Likes

I have been known to produce the occasional bonn mott.

4 Likes

Indeed, when I see your username in a thread, 'tis a veritable har-bing-er of humor.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Have tissues handy.

https://www.out.com/positive-voices/2016/12/01/woman-who-cared-hundreds-abandoned-gay-men-dying-aids?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=positive-voices&utm_content=repro&fbclid=IwAR0aIhYzZSocp7yWKeM8CSPtdwJdDabtOgVGH_odQkZo7BblIruS_ns0rvA#media-gallery-media-4

6 Likes
4 Likes

Gag.  

1 Like

Sorry, I thought it was good that two people who had hard time getting a job managed to create a business.

5 Likes

Yes, but the feel-good story buried the lede:

Most of us don’t have the luxury of being the subject of a feel-good story, because we don’t have relatives who can purchase businesses for us to run. Although I believe that the two brothers in this story are running their business successfully, they were very lucky to have this opportunity.

That’s where the lede is buried. Two brothers on the autism spectrum are gainfully employed in the family business, where 84% of us are out of work. This includes a lot of very capable people who simply can’t get past the job interview process, people who can work but are denied the opportunity. This is the opposite of feel-good. It’s depressing. It’s systemic injustice.

Moreover, this piece feels like the brothers have their jobs because of charity. In order for things to improve for us at all, the world needs to see that employing us is not charity. Sometimes, we’re the best people for the job, no matter what that job is. You think it’s surprising what jobs natural introverts can do when pressed, it’s nowhere near as surprising as what autistics can do.

8 Likes

Employers like to talk diversity but when it comes to actually hiring, they prefer everyone be generic and predictable.

9 Likes

I would argue that hiring people just like them means they can know how to manage them OK (not great) without making any effort, because they understand ‘where the person is coming from’. They don’t want to be shown up as not being a good manager just because they don’t actually know how to bring the best out in a diverse group of people.

6 Likes

I’ve had the experience of being perfect for a job (not a lot of face time) but inexplicably being turned down for it, only to run into the interviewer (who would have been my boss) a year or two later and have her admit that the reason she turned me down was that I wasn’t making eye contact and it freaked her out because she didn’t understand it. In the intervening years I’ve gotten better at faking it, but it really did cost me a job once.

11 Likes

I think you’re being generous.

There are a lot of neurotypical extroverts out there with a lot invested in believing that what’s comfortable for them is what it takes to be successful for everyone. If you’re not a neurotypical extrovert with their attitudes, hobbies, and preferences, you’re just not trying hard enough, that’s all.

To them, diversity means they hire women and people from other ethnicities… who are also neurotypical extroverts.

11 Likes

I have several times attended interviews where a person was clearly the best fit but they made the man in charge of hiring uncomfortable, so they made up reasons to say they weren’t the best fit. A deaf man who was clearly the best technical writer we’d interviewed - my boss said he couldn’t keep up the effort to communicate with him on a daily basis - a larger size lady who was clearly the best graphic designer - my boss said she couldn’t handle the physical effort of the job (sitting in a chair all day and at best moving back and forth to the elevators once or twice a day).

11 Likes

Well, crap, I didn’t think my post would generate all the bad feels. I thought it was one instance at least where a family managed to help some guys get a start. It resonated with me, because my family managed to help me get a start – parents paid for college, sister loaned me money when I needed it, relatives let us stay with them while we got situated for my new job post-graduation, etc. Not to mention parents who paid for all my medical bills as a kid and teen.

9 Likes

This is stunning.

5 Likes

This is an odd entry for All the Feels, but all the feels is what I got. I loved this profile of a cantankerous, complicated woman, and how she donated her body to science in part to teach medical students compassion.

TW: lots of pictures of a dead person, including her face.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/01/visible-human-susan-potter-cadaver/

8 Likes
5 Likes

This thread. This whole thread.

5 Likes