All the healthy stuff

Yep. I think the benefits outweighed the downsides for her.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I donā€™t know how or when I stubbed my right little toe. Itā€™s been weeks. It still hurts. I remember in mid/late 2013 I stubbed my right big toe, and had to use a cane for several months.

Is this kind of healing time normal, or is it a symptom?

1 Like

Okay, all. Iā€™m looking for suggestions food-wise.

Iā€™m about two weeks into the Prednisone, leveled off at 20mg/20mg each day, but am now concerned about my diet. When I was packed with nasal polyps and depressed, I was mainly eating fats, sugars, salt, because thatā€™s all I could taste. And Iā€™ve gotten lumpy.
On the Prednisone, I can smell and taste again, so my cravings are naturally changing. I want to eat healthier, but not to the point of mania. I just want to lessen the impact of processed fillers in my diet.

One thing thatā€™s changed immediately is grains. Before, I was craving sweetbreads and even granola that was still loaded with sugar and sodium. NOW Iā€™m fine with a bowl of oats soaked in water with about 3 heaping dollops of plain yogurt for flavor. I canā€™t do artificial, because it tastes awful to me. And Greek yogurt is both too expensive and not easily available in TJ.
Flour tortillas Iā€™m still going to do until I can figure out a replacement for my dead rice steamer, but once thatā€™s bought, no more things like this and more steamed vegetables with rice.

Iā€™ve decided on two bananas/day for potassium loss from Prednisone, and will definitely be lightly steaming broccoli for calcium intake when I get another steamer.

My Coca-Cola intake has dropped from 1 liter/day to about 250 ml or less. Iā€™ve dropped sweetened Earl Grey tea in favor of low-caffeine alternatives with only 1 spoonful of sugar per pitcher, like peppermint or maybe green tea.

Iā€™m still going to eat pollo asado from my chicken guy, but again, I need that rice steamer so the chicken becomes an alternative instead of primary source of protein. Iā€™m eating more nuts again.
Breakfast often includes 3 small eggs fried with a large roma tomato and a small dusting of mozzarella cheese.
Bloated feelings occur on Prednisone, so raw, hard vegetables are out. Iā€™m fine with steaming when I get a cooker.

SO THE MAIN ISSUE is an increased appetite from the Prednisone, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas for medium-level fiber things to snack on to prolong the ā€œfeeling of fullnessā€ but still target fatty/sweet cravings without going overboard? I want to avoid processed foods.

4 Likes

For me, pickled and fermented things seem like a delicacy - could be spicy kimchi, sauerkraut or even just pickles or olives. (I legit had a few spoonfuls of olives for dessert tonight - me as a kid wouldā€™ve been so confused.) I donā€™t know why, tastes change as we age and this is just where mine have landed now.

Aside from that my favorite foods are beans and rice, or refried beans and spicy rice, and some lightly-fried or raw veggies, leaning toward things like bell peppers and onions with scallions. Often Iā€™ll just make some of that and stuff it in a tortilla if itā€™s just me.

Iā€™m no vegetarian but the idea that you should eat a slab of meat at every meal just seems absurd to me. I save my meat-eating for the occasional hotdog, hamburger, tuna, or sushi night.

I am kind of surprised that greek yogurt is hard to get because when I was in that business we were pushing hard to get it everywhere and get everyone hooked on it. I donā€™t know how it went in Mexico, but apparently not as well as elsewhere.

5 Likes

It may be happening somewhere, more likely toward the wealthier parts of town (TJ), but even at Smart & Final near my home, consumer choices are largely dictated by their income. So generally, cheaper processed foods are the norm.
Which I find interestingā€¦because there are independent meat or fish shops, produce stands, all kinds of restaurants in my area, but no dairy shops Iā€™m aware of.

4 Likes

Totally agree that pickled/fermented foods are a good choice.

But also, I wanted to mention that itā€™s very easy to make rice in a normal pot, as long as the lid fits properly. Donā€™t wait for the specific gadget to make rice!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve tried the pot. Itā€™s a no go on my hotplate. It has to be a rice steamer. There is no oven or stove.

3 Likes

How about sour cream instead of yogurt? the US super-white sour cream isnā€™t the same as the latin American stuff, but Iā€™m not sure what you get where you are.

Near me, the good stuff is labeled ā€œCrema CentroAmericanaā€ or ā€œCrema SalvadoreƱaā€ itā€™s unsweetened, and a tasty sub for yogurt.

And, as for fiber, what do you have access to as far as mushrooms? They are excellent fiber, not fatty nor sweet, and if they are preserved in some certain ways, they do last a long time. You mentioned boating with vegetables, so would fungus be different, or the same?

3 Likes

I can get sour cream here, the Lala brand, which if I remember, is called something like ā€œacidic creamā€, but much more expensive than yogurt. Iā€™m fine with the sweet stuff for now, as Iā€™m diluting it with plain unsweetened oats.

I havenā€™t seen them. It sounds logical, though.

For the time being, thereā€™s corn tortilla chips that are less refined made by locals, but I just worry about the concentration of vegetable oils.

3 Likes

How about just vegetables and fruit? There are lists online, with some showing the percentage fiber.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if those supplements for joint flexibility are legit or are they just snake oil?

Whatā€™s the supplementsā€™ name?

1 Like

Iā€™m doing this, too, where I can. Mangoes are very ripe right now, but more expensive than other fruit, so I have to be sparing.

Iā€™m mainly trying to find fillers to deal with increased appetite without causing bloating, constipation, or too much gas.

2 Likes

I do not know.

Iā€™ve read that supplementing with collagen powder is good for joints, nails, hair, etc. I started putting a scoop in my morning coffee in an attempt to do something else, but my nails are stronger. I sprained my rotator cuff and am almost healed up to normal 6 months later, with physical therapy. But these are random anecdotes and donā€™t really mean anything about whether the stuff works. :woman_shrugging:

My way of thinking, for myself, is that if the cost is low enough that completely wasting my money wonā€™t hurt, and there arenā€™t negative effects, it might be worth seeing how it goes. Maybe it works, and maybe itā€™s catching a placebo effect in the wild. If itā€™s affordable, why not?

But, uh, no, I have no idea if they actually work.

4 Likes

Veggies tend to be lower sugar than fruit is.

Also, since you can smell, now, switch out some of your salt with more aromatics. It wouldnā€™t fill you more, but will be better for your blood pressure. I like carrots and snap peas, ymmv. Peanut butter is also a good, complete protein. Yes, itā€™s high fat, but you need fat to absorb most of the nutrients in veggies. A little bit with your bananas or with some carrots can make it more filling. Not, of course if you have a peanut allergy. Likewise, a hardboiled egg sprinkled with a little seasoning.

The more slowly you eat, too.

6 Likes

I can do this. ā€œNaturalā€ peanut butter is available, too. And peanuts. Japanese-style, plain or with chili, or even roasted salty.

3 Likes

If the bloat is gas, I am not sure what to recommend, but for water retention, parsley is a diuretic: if mine gets really bad, I make up some parsley-mint tea.

Peppermint oil is recommended for IBS, you may find that helps you, too.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, Iā€™ve been drinking peppermint tea.

ETA: I pulled out the Miracle Whip and tried just a leetle teeny dab with each bite of carrot, and it made it much more palatable. I know itā€™s not the best choice, but Iā€™m just sticking to dabs (like placing a glue stick) instead of drowning the carrot in the stuff.
If I were to truly dunk it, probably yogurt would be smarter.

3 Likes