All the healthy stuff

Do we have a general healthish thread? I’d be interested in participating in one. Food, exercise, how to get to sleep at night, keeping sports bras in good shape, etc? I can start one if not.

12 Likes

Let’s make that happen.

8 Likes

I did my annual plank and now I’m dead

10 Likes

Here’s something that amazed me. I always had trouble getting to sleep; usually took an hour or more. In the last dozen years, I started having this thing where I’d finally get to sleep, but then wake abruptly, with sudden anxiety. I couldn’t figure it out. I tried Ambien, valium, etc. to deal with the insomnia and anxiety.

CPAP fixed it. I suspect I was falling asleep and waking up over and over due to sleep apnea. The anxiety may have been due to not being able to breathe, but not realizing what had awakened me.

Now with the mask, I go to sleep within about 10-15 minutes.

Whoa, that was a surprise.

18 Likes

I’ve thought about sleeping with a wedge pillow, but it just keeps me awake.

6 Likes

I’m usually asleep inside of five minutes or so- but sometimes I go through prolonged bouts of difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep. A doctor recommended Melatonin.

I am, apparently, allergic to Melatonin. It makes me become very hypothermic. It’s unpleasant.

So there you go.
Now I drink lemon ginger herbal tea, and take a hot bath or shower right before bed.

12 Likes

“Engage” and not “Make it so?”

*scoff*

One of the big things that hurts me with respect to my health is boredom.

If I keep either my brain of my body active, I don’t get hungry. If not, though, I munch, and generally not on healthy stuff.

7 Likes

I, too, represent that remark!

7 Likes

This morning, I made it back from Mt. Doom to Isengard! I use the lists on EowynChallenge.net to track my running distance.

5 Likes

wow, what a great idea! congratulations!

4 Likes

Thanks! The Eowyn challenges are mapped to really specific detail. Like “Oh, I just crossed a stream by a really tall tree.” Both neat and weird. I love Tolkein nerds.

7 Likes

Wait. You’re running errands for Saruman? To cement his alliance with Sauron? And bragging publicly about it?!

7 Likes

i just did a cursory look at it, and i’m not so deeply steeped to know actual numbers of things, but did i see that they are measuring the distance from Hobbiton to the Grey Havens as 260 miles? that is WAY longer than i expected in my head.

6 Likes

I had thought it was about the distance to Bree (135 mi). Seeing it all laid out is sort of weird - the Shire is bigger than I thought. I did that part while pregnant and it took me forever to get out of the damn Shire.

5 Likes

True to the book, then.

7 Likes

I did that part while pregnant and it took me forever to get out of the damn Shire.

Imagine having much littler legs and feet so big in comparison that… holy crap hobbits were always the little rodents with backwards-bending hind legs that should appear in some horror flick. You know what, good for them for throwing in with Aragorn rather than the scanning eye of the giant predator :roll_eyes: .

3 Likes

Or rabbits? I’ve always imagined Hobbits with more-or-less typical human anatomy, but some early readers disagreed.

4 Likes

Rabbits would have had the vorpal bunny teeth. Limit the characters to free the story.

2 Likes

they just had HAIRIER feet, not necessarily larger. but shorter legs, true dat. as a short person, i always identified with that. but still, distance measured is distance measured, right?

5 Likes

Hairy is always larger. Always.