All the healthy stuff

Whatever you say, Mr Proudfoot.

4 Likes

I worked until midnight last night, and then the blue light from my screen made me too wired to sleep.

So now Iā€™m in a fog through today.

Stop working.

7 Likes

Ugh, havenā€™t run with the stroller in a while. Did 5.5 miles pushing a 40 baby tank, and RIP my legs

8 Likes

using apps like f.lux and darkmode have really helped me in that regard.
also blackout curtains in the bedroom and an alarm clock with a halogen lamp that fades in Ā½ hour before the audio alarm, too.

Iā€™ve always had trouble ā€œturning offā€ at night, but recently I have been prescribed Seroquel, which turns me completely off about 1Ā½ hrs after I take it, so problem solved.
But before that, the lighting solutions were very helpful, and I still use them.

7 Likes

Tried watching video in just black and red light once.

It didnā€™t keep me awake AT ALL, much less reset my internal clock.

It was pretty weird, actually. ā€œIā€™m watching this movie and I want to know what happens next but my brain thinks itā€™s drrk n thrajkl m zzzzzzzzzā€

6 Likes

I still have trouble ā€œturning offā€ but once I can, Iā€™ve found that a pile of heavy blankets (including a weighted blanket) coupled with a heated mattress pad turned on a low setting gives me such good sleep. Iā€™m dreaming again, which means Iā€™m getting caught up.

Odd thing is, I had quit using the heated mattress pad because I was getting too hot and waking up in the middle of the night sweaty, having to change clothes while covered in sweat in the cold of winter and then shivering while trying to get back to sleep. But now that itā€™s warming up toward spring, thatā€™s not happening and Iā€™m not waking up sweaty. I donā€™t know why.

5 Likes

Iā€™m traveling all next week. I plan to replace my running shoes at the store I bought them at while traveling. And Iā€™m also packing some of my shittiest old undershirts so I can wear them under my normal clothes, then wear them running, then throw them in the trash. I always pack the absolute worst underthings and exercise gear I have so I can chuck them guilt-free. I usually put the kids in things they are seconds from outgrowing so I can donate them on the road, too. Come back with less stuff.

So looking forward to it.

Edit: This is especially helpful for gymwear when I know I need actual good work clothes. I can still get workout stuff without sacrificing too much luggage space.

6 Likes

This is a good explainer video.

4 Likes

Some serious problems:

1. Flashing in the opening.

2. I donā€™t trust the inferences from rats. See Rat Park. Addiction isnā€™t the only thing that can explain their actions.

3. ā€œIt usually takes continuous use over a long period of time for [tobacco] to truly damage you.ā€ Thatā€™s not true if Iā€™m watching. Thatā€™s probably not true if a lot of other people are watching either. It only takes secondhand exposure to give me nasty asthma attacks, lasting more than 10 times as long as the exposure. It is a major killer.

4. Strobing at about 4:40.

5. Zooming at 4:50 and Iā€™m not going any farther.

1 Like

I have a lot of frustrating migraine triggers. But one of the most frustrating is the post-exertional malaise.

If I exercise too much, or write too much, or cook, or a little of each, Iā€™m likely to feel fine at the time, but get hit with severe migraines and lymph node-ish soreness a few hours to a few days later. Standard advice to stop when you get symptoms doesnā€™t work with delayed symptoms.

Does anyone know of tools to track this, and to pace to avoid this?

Iā€™ve heard of the Fitbit and the expensive Oura Ring. With my skin issues, Iā€™m not sure about wearables, and I canā€™t use any accompanying smartphone apps, and I donā€™t know whether these can track exertion from standing or writing.

1 Like

i have a Motiv ring (which also is admittedly expensive) but my guess is that a phone app wonā€™t track as well as a wearable because the device needs to be in contact with you to monitor exertion/heart rate. the Motive is a titanium ring, but the inside part that touches your skin is plastic. i like it very much ā€“ itā€™s waterproof and while itā€™s not as full-featured as some other wearables, it does what i need.

1 Like

It seems most of these devices assume the ability to use a smartpain and/or tablet. Many decline to say whether the blink, flash, contain latex, contain spandex, etc.

they do all tend to have an app as a way to convey info, and (for instance) my ring has a light on the face that blinks briefly when syncing to the app, and thereā€™s a heartbeat sensor on the inside flashes when it is checking on your heartbeat.

2 Likes

And if their app isnā€™t compatible with my computer, itā€™s not going to work for me. Regardless of whether their app is compatible with some smartpains and/or tablets which aren;t compatible with my disabilities.

From what Iā€™ve seen, that means expensive portable ecg devices or very expensive wearable monitoring devices. But the former might be worth if, if heart rate is a good clue to overexertion.

These are some very old guidelines, but they might work for excersize. Iā€™m just not sure if they work for standing, such as cooking, or mental effort, such as writing.

P.S. I managed to re-awaken an old blood pressure and heart rate monitor. My blood pressure seems to have spiked since last year.

2 Likes

well, iā€™m willing to bet the hardware and apps will be compatible with your computer ā€“ they definitely strive to be as broad as possible for things like that these days. anything less could affect their adoption. everything else, i canā€™t speak to.

1 Like

The vast majority arenā€™t compatible with regular computers-- only smartpains and tablets. There are some handheld ecg devices which are compatible, and a few of the more expensive wearables.

1 Like

Blinking cursor warning for the following:

Iā€™m listening in the background. PEM is so frustrating because I want to do more, and I have this idea that itā€™d be healthy to exercise, and my last doctors all encouraged exercise, and yetā€¦ I need to ration my exertion.

Iā€™m not sure how many marbles to use, and ow many to remove as I do things, but a bowl of marbles may be a practical way to account for exertion.

These people are hilarious.

6 Likes

i agree. i actually watched that whole video, learned something, and didnā€™t feel like bumping up the speed to 1.25x or 1.5x to get through it faster. loved it.

3 Likes

I normally kinda low-level hate these sorts of youtube videos, but I agree, this one had some genuinely funny moments. I loved that the baby has zero awareness of any sort of audience, and the ā€œhell yeah, sugar-mama!ā€ at 10:37 was almost worth the price of admission all by itself.

3 Likes