Alt-right march in Charlottesville

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/896433453071298562

10 Likes

And…the people who did that…do they think they’ll not be punished, so they just don’t care?

I have to leave this thread, it absolutely sickens me right now…just got done reading about the events leading up to and including the assassination of President Lincoln, and I just cried like a baby - because if he’d lived, maybe the whole North/South-race problem wouldn’t exist today.

9 Likes

I see this all the time in New York, too. If they feel that strongly about it, it’s not like there’s anything preventing them from moving down south.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there’s no telling right now, since they’ve not been identified. The video of the event is just horrific.

Trump was quick to talk about terrorism when cars were run into crowds in Europe. I’m sure he’ll be talking about this act any…moment…now…

Edit: Oh, crap, one person has died from that coward’s actions.

2 Likes

Somewhere, on some right wing forum, they’re reporting: “We were all just peacefully gathered with our torches, and then Black Lives Matter showed up…”

6 Likes

A weak tea statement that we should “all come together”, followed by cheerleading for himself with an offhand comment about Charlottesville being “sad”. Christ, what an asshole.

13 Likes

If someone you know voted for Trump, ask them why they think it’s OK for Nazis to commit domestic terrorism. I’ve burned most of my bridges to Trump voters, but if there are any, they don’t get to be comfortable around me.

11 Likes

The alt-right on Twitter are half blaming others for the violence, and half gloating about it (i.e., the car).

13 Likes

As a comment, that’s either incredibly insightful, or incredibly flabby. Which one is it? Well, that depends on how yo define “Dominionist.”

Wikipedia makes the Dominionists sound scary.

In the context of American evangelical efforts to penetrate and transform public life, the distinguishing mark of a dominionist is a commitment to defining and carrying out an approach to building society that is self-consciously defined as exclusively Christian, and dependent specifically on the work of Christians, rather than based on a broader consensus.[36]

And yet…

Wilson believed doctrinal fights were useless, even detrimental to the cause of “true” religion. The real essence of Christianity was to do good in the world publicly and have a warm, personal, sort of romantic experience of God privately. Wilson even spoke of “new coat of doctrine,” which was essentially working for justice in the world while leaving behind the old doctrines. This is why he secularized Princeton, making Bible and theology courses elective, eliminating the confessional requirement for faculty, and relegating spiritual formation off to the chapel and campus YMCA. The new “Christian” mission of Princeton Wilson articulated in his Sesquicentennial Address (1896), and reprised at his presidential installation in 1902, “Princeton in the Nation’s Service.” Service to the nation replaced service to the church.

So, are your definitions strong enough to propel your argument?

2 Likes

“No longer a majority” is not the same as “losing”.

The TrumpGOP are fully aware that the majority of the country do not support their fascist bullshit. They don’t care.

All of the discussion in the establishment press over the last decade about how the changing demographics of America would permanently shift power to the Democrats?

Well, the right read that stuff too.

Initially, they briefly considered attempting to reclaim the majority by diluting their white supremacy (e.g. Rubio’s attempt at immigration reform). But their base went berserk (e.g. the Tea Party) as soon as that was suggested, so they gave up on that idea.

Instead, they turned the other way: double down on the racist extremism, and focus energy on rigging the political system to permanently secure minority rule.

It is no surprise that Confederate symbolism is returning. What the GOP has done over the last decade is a repeat of the Slave Power conspiracy of the 1850’s. And, now as then, they are not going to give up their hold on power unless they are forced to.

8 Likes

Feelings are a bit high. Yes, I know Wilson’s legacy, his pact with the Southern Democrats, his “high minded” and stupid State religiosity, etc.

Mostly the racism, though, and the way he prosecuted it in a bland and centrist way.

And Fred Shuttlesworth.

And Ghandi.

2 Likes

It appears the police have been super hands off in this situation.

6 Likes

My Facebook feed is filled with Live videos from this event. It is wretched. I do not understand why this event was allowed to proceed, nor do I understand why the police have not moved to shut it down as it has become violent.

3 Likes

They have another one coming up in Seattle.

2 Likes
3 Likes

well that will be interesting.

In other words, they recognize that they’re powerless to stop social progress and have therefore become so desperate that they’re trying to seize minority control of the political system. That’s what you do when you’re losing.

7 Likes

They have succeeded in seizing minority control of the political system.

And that seizure is permanent, unless Americans wake up and take realistic action in the immediate future. Waiting to see how the midterms pan out is a grossly inadequate response.

5 Likes

They seem like they’re really in control right now.

Just like the Confederacy was permanent.

2 Likes