Alt-right march in Charlottesville

20 Likes

I hadn’t actually asked this question before - my old standby was “Why do you think my husband deserves to die?” We used to buy our insurance on the ACA and he has pre-existing conditions.

6 Likes

That one’s been gone over before too.

“You’re exaggerating, no-one’s going to die, Americans have lived with this kind of health care for a long time, their standard of care is much better than here, that’s why it’s so expensive, and besides, the economy!” Or else, mock-resignedly, “so I guess it’s communism then” as if the only choices are either fascism or communism.

Understand well none of this I agree with. One of them I got thinking, at least a little, when all those senior members of the State Department resigned en masse, because career and ambition is something they can understand. But they’ve reverted to form since.

Come to think of it, they were the ones who assured me it wouldn’t come to marches and deaths, and I asked them how bad it would have to get before they would consider changing their minds. I hate to say it, but one person run over, 19 injured, 2 cops dead from a copter crash probably isn’t enough casualties for them to do a rethink. It’s going to take at least one city on fire before they even consider maybe Trump isn’t so good for the economy after all.

6 Likes

“I disavow anything that led to folks getting hurt,” Kessler continued.

Um, yeah, that’s not how it works.

“Sure, I pushed over the first of the huge, person-crushing dominoes while knowing exactly where it would lead. But I disavow anything that led to folks getting hurt, so I can’t be held responsible, right?”

16 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Bloom told the Associated Press on Saturday that she didn’t talk to him about his political views. He’d told her he was going to a rally, but Bloom said they hadn’t discussed the details.

“I didn’t know it was white supremacists,” she said. “I thought it had something to do with Trump. Trump’s not a supremacist.”

10 Likes

That wasn’t an accident, it was deliberately manufactured misinformation.

12 Likes
18 Likes
9 Likes

When we consider all the psychological/emotional manipulations that go into modern election strategy, it’s no surprise that Trump voters/supporters are reluctant to change their position.

1 Like

He’s aware of the potential to use Congressional action as a propaganda device, yes. It is only one of many options for that purpose, however.

Most of Trump’s percieved incompetence only exists if you judge him within the frame of conventional politics.

Trump is making no effort to expand his popularity or avoid motivating his opposition. Normally, that would be electorally suicidal. But, in this case, it’s irrelevant: Trump has no intention of facing a legitimate election.

Trump is making no real effort to hide his criminality. Again, normally bad, but in this case trivial. He holds the pardon power, and is completely willing to abuse it. He has already fired one insufficiently-loyal FBI director and openly threatened the AG. He has no intention of ever facing a courtroom.

He is genuinely incompetent on the international front, but he isn’t calling the shots there: Putin and Bannon are. And a lunatic charge into catastrophic war is exactly what those two are looking for. They aren’t doing it by mistake.

The “strong approval” numbers slipped slightly a month or two after the election, and have been trending stable ever since. And those “strong approve” people just shifted to “approve”; they didn’t actually oppose him.

The idea that Trump’s support within the GOP is significantly fading is a fantasy. The movement in his numbers is exactly what you’d expect as the post-election honeymoon wears off, nothing more.

The Pence/Ryan/RNC faction would topple Trump in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. But they won’t; the base would slaughter them. Over half of the GOP base “strongly support”, ninety percent total support, a tenth or less oppose.

In about a year, most of the disloyal GOP legislators will disappear, removing this possibility. And even if the RNC folk miraculously pulled off a coup, all that gets you is a permanent fascist government with less chaos and more theocracy.

What opponents?

The only semi-real democratic contest left in America is within the party primaries. The red-governed states are no longer under two-party rule; fascists are counting the votes.

Trump doesn’t need money to buy ads. He has Twitter, Brietbart, CNN, Fox and the Daily Stormer to get his message out. He barely spent any money during the last election; most of his fundraising went straight into his own pockets.

The centre of American political opinion is slightly to the left of the Democrats.

There are no moderate Republicans. It has been a white supremacist party for decades. Now it is a fascist party.

While you are “giving them that opportunity”, millions of Koreans and Iranians are going to die.

Then you have the difficult and messy task of building a new country in the aftermath. It’s a shitty job, but if you wanted to avoid that you needed to deal with your fascists before they seized control.

The Constitution is dead. Its purpose was to prevent a situation like this; it failed.

“If we do this, the fascists might do it too” is an empty argument. The fascists are going to do it anyway, no matter how you respond. Attempting to uphold Marquis of Queensbury rules in a cage fight gets you nothing except beaten.

If decorum and a respect for obsolete norms is more important to you than defeating fascism, then I think that your priorities are somewhat misaligned.

8 Likes

i think i read a cross-cultural study once – no citation provided, i know – that this isn’t people. it’s americans.

other groups of people do not share this strong tendency of doubling down on mistakes.

i’ve always attributed it to the religious streak americans have. the belief that there is one set of facts, provided by an eminently contradictory book: the bible. ( you’d be hard pressed to get most christians to notice there are two completely contradictory creation stories in genesis. )

it’s nice to think that it’s a learned behavior. and could therefore be unlearned.

8 Likes

“it’s americans”

Drunk irish, lazy mexicans, stern germans, and americans without humility

ditto

3 Likes

pretty much tells you everything you need about the police in this country

1 Like
6 Likes

I just posted this in Wanderthread, but I think it’s also relevant here:

7 Likes

Yeah, no. You’re essentially arguing that anything short of overthrowing the government and rebuilding society from its ashes amounts to misguided respect for decorum and obsolete norms because you can’t envision any scenario in which our system can survive having ingested a pathogen.

The Constitution is not some Victorian etiquette manual, it’s the sacred text that binds our society together, and the fact that someone like Trump has been allowed to take office is a testament to its strength, not its weakness. Once we declare it “dead” the country breaks up because there’s nothing that can rival its legitimacy—and our nukes will not be any better off in the hands of some newly-declared Republic of Gilead.

The only way we put the lid on fascism is by restoring the Constitution, and we can’t do that if we’re the ones burning the Reichstag. Disobedience can and should play a part in this (e.g., states refusing to hand over voter rolls), but the endgame, for now, has to be a democratic election. Tahrir Square is only a viable means to restoring the Constitution once there is already widespread recognition that free elections are not being held—otherwise it achieves the opposite effect.

And that’s granting, of course, that such an uprising is not a fairy tale scenario—which, at the moment, it is.

9 Likes

A photographer caught this as it happened - horrifying, people in mid air, shoes everywhere - shoes always fly off when people are hit…

Wow. Photographer from @DailyProgress https://t.co/tpTflF9CkC via @samstein pic.twitter.com/5tVjxq2ULK

— Joshua Hersh (@joshuahersh) August 12, 2017
6 Likes

All of the Constitution or just parts of it? Because I hear a lot of people screaming how they support the Constitution, but it’s the parts they want like guns for everyone and free speech only applies to me. All the other bits of it seem to be missing.

7 Likes