And You Get a Time out!

I’m amazed that one can bribe a 46 year old to ignore that many years of neglect with coca cola and crayons.

Still, I guess 42 years of fending for himself in a pizza place must have played hell with his personal development… :thinking:

16 Likes

To be fair, Godfather’s had pretty dang good pizza. I expect he did okay. Not a tooth in his head by the time Smokey and the Bandit came out, but otherwise okay.

12 Likes

It would either give him the skills to be the world’s foremost pizza maker, or give him an aversion to all things pizza due to the traumatic memories.

9 Likes

My SO grandpa, grandma, and great-grandma were on a road trip and stopped at a gas station. They were 5 miles further down the road, when grandpa said to grandma, “Where’s your mother?” Went to use the bathroom, turned out.

10 Likes

Is he still there?

4 Likes

On quiet nights your can still hear him eating pizza and wondering when his family will return for him…

8 Likes

Don’t worry, everyone. He’s fine and living Chicago, tending bar near Wicker Park.

11 Likes

I guess I didn’t think hard enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

We are not unkind. Additional chances will be given as necessary.

5 Likes

Why are we all being punished for @nimelennar’s failure?

8 Likes

Because y’all failed to keep me from failing.

9 Likes

I’ll take a chance, if you don’t mind.

4 Likes

And it happened again.

@Nimelennar!!!

8 Likes

Apropos of nothing, but does anyone know of a service that monitors site uptime and notifies if, say, the site is down or unresponsive. Ideally this is a free service, or at least very low cost. Asking for a friend…

11 Likes

I find this handy, but you have to manually check. AFAIK it won’t notify you if a site is down.

They have this bookmarklet thingy.
Capture

Today, when I tried to access the cafe, the gears would grind for a long while, then the URL would show in the address bar, but with a blank page, as if the site was up but without content.

4 Likes

It seems like nginx was up, but the discourse instance it was proxying to wasn’t responding. I went ahead and upgraded discourse after rebooting, in case that’s relevant to the problem.

4 Likes

I was getting occasional 405s - most of the time the request was just timing out.

This might be useful:

5 Likes

I’ve signed up. Their free tier looks like it will work just fine for me. Thank you.

5 Likes

Hey, I didn’t even have access to the Internet at the time. You can’t blame this one on me.

5 Likes

You can check the Elsewhere Twitter too :wink:. It’s not automatic, but members sent tweets for both of the recent timeouts. If you have the Elsewhere Twitter set up to send an e-mail when someone @s it, that would at least be a semi-automatic notification.

4 Likes