And You Get a Time out!

It looks like we all got a time out.

I hope you used the time to think about what you did, and how you can avoid this in the future.

Or I could pay better attention and not leave the site offline for so long next time. Definitely one of those…

30 Likes

So cold… it was so cold out there…

18 Likes

Were we wished into the cornfield?

10 Likes

Did I miss it? I think I missed it. What did I miss?

10 Likes

You missed The Nothing.

10 Likes

at least i wasn’t the only one. :frowning_face:

10 Likes

It was like that day when I can home from school and found that my parents had moved away!

9 Likes

giphy-downsized (7)

10 Likes

that sounds horrible.

That’s what they said! >;]P

17 Likes

The worst part for me was there was no way to say, “um. Hello. Are the bad gateway errors because of something deliberate, perchance?”.

Or, even better, “Hello. Yes we know about the errors on the main site. Fret not.”

Would it be useful to have an outage announcement twitter, or is that too much overhead?

7 Likes

@ElsewhereCafe on Twitter.

bbs.elsewhere.cafe@gmail.com

I wasn’t aware the site was down until this morning, which is on me. I’m going to try to make an effort so that I get notified more actively, and also open up some of the administration so that more people are able to deal with the issues if they come up when I’m not available.

11 Likes

The outage actually gave me a reason to go to The Other Place and check the group threads, which I’ve not been following much since I haven’t been visiting there very often otherwise. Saw a post from @tinoesroho there about the issue, so at least I knew I wasn’t the only one seeing a problem.

11 Likes

Stuff…things…you know

I spent time on my “retirement” plan

7 Likes

By accident, we left my 4-year old brother at Godfather’s Pizza back in '76.

11 Likes

I got left behind on a business trip once.

They said it was by accident…

9 Likes

2 Likes

So much is left unsaid!

Is this a new realization?

Did you realize it much later, like, circa 1982, and just shrug and say, “What’s done is done”?

If you did go back and retrieve him, was it with some reluctance? Ask Kevin McCallister; he’ll tell you that the favored child never gets left behind.

16 Likes

We did go back to retrieve him. It definitely was a Kevin McAlister situation, with lots of kids in our group.
Apparently, he was a bit upset at first, but when provided with crayons and unlimited Coca-Cola, he didn’t feel so bad.

12 Likes