Put-Our-Rich-Criminals-in-Check Global Emporium

For someone who cites and namechecks the Culture, he’s still got an awfully large amount of hierarchical thinking going on.I think he’s soreley in need of someone who can say no to him. There’s a lot of believing your own hype at work there.

10 Likes

I’m thinking he’s caught heat for the Hyperloop expenses so he’s creating media moments to sell new mining and tunneling technology for underwater tunnel boring.

4 Likes

Cool, more definitive proof that the guy says a lot of meaningless bullshit and can’t be trusted at his word. Now if only his fans caught on.

6 Likes

Nice.

3 Likes

Anyone else get rapid strobing from the left side?

1 Like

Nope. None at all. In fact, every time you say there is flashing, etc. on sites we all link to, I’ve never had any movement/flashing/whatever. I think all your protections are not working well together, and making things worse rather than better.

7 Likes

I have accidentally disabled and/or misconfigured safety features before. And a lot more pain-bombardment got through then. I don’t think disabling safety features will make things less unsafe this time.

It’s some kind of js_reel issue. I’d reported after a previous encounter:

2 Likes

No, but Ublock Origin blocked over half the stuff on the page for me.

2 Likes

Given the display problems you consistently describe, which don’t seem to affect other setups, I would look at your video hardware and drivers.

6 Likes
17 Likes

The Chocolate Rain guy is 100% correct!

5 Likes

I’ve encountered the same problems with and without the external monitor, so I don’t think it’s the hardware.

I’m no longer using Ubuntu, so I don’t think it’s the drivers or a hack to get around the absence of Ubuntu drivers for Ubuntu-certified hardware.

I switched to the Mac to avoid the hardware and driver problems I’d encountered before.

Thread on one of the biggest lies “success story” " “motivational” types tell:

Yeah, I am pretty sure I would have more time for passion projects and creativity and possibly even just cleaning up and getting bloody organised, if I didn’t sit in traffic for 2-3 hours a day (or I could have someone drive me in a private car), just to work at a job that barely lets me scrape at my debt to afford more debt when emergency strikes.

14 Likes

Yes, and for someone like me who until recently had serious health issues I couldn’t afford to treat, my illness was robbing me of several hours a day due to fatigue.

12 Likes

Or, if you work in a city, live downtown, near all of the jobs, in a home that with a price tag of seven or eight figures.

13 Likes

“Before Tony Bourdain, before reality TV and ‘Parts Unknown’ and people really being into ethnic food in a serious way, it was Jonathan who got it, completely,” the writer and editor Ruth Reichl said. “He really got that food was a gateway into the people, and that food could really define a community. He was really writing about the people more than the food.”

Oh nytimes, you thinking that being served is the way to get to know a culture. Not that it should be excised from the culture, but the best way to get to know a culture is to work and live among them. The white boy in the kitchen learns a lot more about the culture of the restaurant owners then the occasional client.

*This obit is otherwise pretty entertaining.

7 Likes

Those that like power hate truly free libraries. Another point that isn’t covered, is that libraries don’t tend to collect and maintain client data long term. Six months from now, they won’t have a record of what books you took out, or what videos you rented. Records of what you have currently, sure… They do want to know where their assets are. But libraries and librarians tend to take privacy seriously.

Amazon does… not.

16 Likes

Best-case scenario in an undemocratic supernational oligarchy:

"The actual stimulus spending was very small,” said João Borges de Assunção, a professor at the Católica Lisbon School of Business and Economics. “But the country’s mind-set became completely different, and from an economic perspective, that’s more impactful than the actual change in policy.”

Yeah… no. Because the right-wing line will be to never raise taxes, never tax capital, never be generous in maintaining infrastructure and institutions, so the bathtub stranglers still have a way to kill off societies.

Mr. Costa insists that the government must keep cutting the deficit to offset the biggest threat to Portugal: its enormous debt, still one of the eurozone’s largest. Portuguese banks are saddled with bad loans from the earlier crisis, and the country remains vulnerable to any financial market turmoil that might be stirred up by problems in nearby Italy.

7 Likes

The word “saddled” makes it sound like some third party imposed these loans on the banks.

Which seems unlikely.

And Portugal is “nearby” Italy only in the same sense that the UK is near Lithuania.

5 Likes

If you read, the hostlers are named.

3 Likes